7 days - what to see?

Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
Jo

7 days - what to see?

Hi. I;ve been reading your postings and it looks like Caye Caulker is high on everyone's list. Can someone please give me some recommmendations on which "budget" ($25-50) hotel to stay which there? Also, we'd like to go to Cayo but I'm a bit confused on where in Cayo to go and where to stay (we will be using bus service and taxi).

Does anyone know how long the bus ride is from Belize City to Cayo, and is it best to spend a night in Belixe City upon arrival or do the busses / boats run most times to get you out to the Cayes / Jungle?

Thanks!

Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Lan Sluder

My choice would be Tree Tops (around US$35-$40) but there are a number of good budget/moderate hotels. Just look around after you arrive, unless you are going at a busy time such as Easter.

The bus to San Ignacio is around 2 to 3 hours, depending on whether you take a local or express. Most people like to get out of Belize City as soon as possible.

--Lan Sluder

Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:25 AM
sharon

Hi Jo - I agree with Lan completely. Just returned and Tree Tops is great. We traveled to San Ignacio via private shuttle - we used Lenny at Aguada Hotel. You don't have to stay there to use the shuttle service. I think it cost us $30 a piece, but it was worth it to not have to taxi into B. City, and catch the very slow bus to SI. Everyplace else we went we used the bus and Tropic Air. I would recommend Martha's Guest House in SI. Beautiful, clean, and nicely located. have a great trip!

Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM
sharon

PS - You must book in advance with Tree Tops - they're usually booked!

Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Jo

Thanks for your help Lou and Sharon. Do you have a phone number to contact the shuttle service?

I was looking at Martha's and thought it looked great. Any insight on Midas resort in San Ignacio?

Jan 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM
sharon

Jo,

Just go to the Aguada Hotel's web site and contact them via e-mail. They're very good about returning messages. I arranged the whole thing via email. Martha's is great. We had the top floor "suite" and it was wonderful. I've never seen Midas Resort, but Lan would surely have info!