Search

4 hours in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 hours in Mexico City

We have a 4 hour lay-over at the Mexico City airport. Is that long enough to leave and do something fun? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:53 AM

No, it is not. You have to account for time to go through the Immigrations line (which can take an hour), time for traveling into Mexico City to see anything of interest, and then time to travel back at the airport to be there 1 to 2 hours before boarding so you can stand on the various security lines.

Even if you are not coming from another country (no Immigration line), there would still not be enough time, not unless you want to risk missing your connecting flight.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 05:28 AM

I agree with JoyceL--not nearly enough time. The immigrations lines can be slow then, if you leave the secure area, you will again have to pass through security which can also be time consuming.
You will find plenty to do in the way of restaurants, bars and shops! I would relax and enjoy them!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I also hear crime is a problem so I guess we will just stay put and start to relax into Mexico time.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Just got back from a trip which included MC. It takes an hour by cab to the Zocalo during business hours, 20 minutes otherwise. Unless there is a protest or a market that ties up traffic, then you can sit in your cab without moving for an hour.

Depending on the carrier, you may need two hours prior to the next flight. We did. Many carriers hand check your checked-in luggage so it takes a long time in line to check in.

There are plenty of small restaurants, etc. to wait in between flights.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:25 AM

Welcome back, Carolred. Are you going to post a trip report for us? I'd love to hear how your trip went.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:56 PM

You could take a cab around the block. That would certainly be exciting, but can't promise fun (or safe)
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I was in the same situation last summer. In my case I took the metro to the Zocalo which took an hour one way because I got lost for a few minutes and 40 minutes on the way back. Since I wanted to be back at the airport an hour early, I took a look at the murals in the National Palace and had to go back. After this experience I really don't think there's enough time. If I had any big delays I would have been hard pressed to get back to the airport.