Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Safe to drink water in Playa del carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this has probably been asked here before but is it better to stick with bottled water in PDC? Goin next week and staying in condo rental on the beach and will have to stock groceries for a week. Wondering if we should stock up on bottled water? Is that safe? Will probably go to grocery store in PDC so give me info on that if possible. Also, can you buy american beer in PDC grocery stores? I know at the all inclusive resorts you only have one choice of beer and its usually modelo so was just curious of beer selection and price. Any feedback here would really help. Thanks. John.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Never drink anything other than bottled water in Mexico. Period. Beware of ice cubes served in bars and restaurants. You can get very sick if you are not careful.

Most beer drinkers like the Mexican beer. Not sure of any prices.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 03:35 AM

I'd stick with bottled water too. Even for brushing your teeth. That being said, we had several drinks with ice, ate numerous salads and were never sick.

I saw people walking around town with cans of Budweiser in their hand. Since it's an import there, it's going to cost more than the Mexican beers, I'm not sure how much.

Have a great trip. Jean
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:23 AM

yes, drink the bottled water, also to brush your teeth. Don't worry about the ice cubes, they are made with purified water and in recent years, it has not been a problem. Also sanitize all fresh fruit and vegetables. I do this by taking a few drops of bleach or microderm(found in all stores)to water and cover vegetables or fruit. I let it set for about 10 minutes. Almost all restaurants do this and most will advertise that they are doing this. If in doubt, take a lime and squeeze over salads or anything fresh and this will kill the bacteria. Seems to work, does for me. Or I guess don't eat at all. There are several big grocery stores in Playa. The nicest I think is Chedraui. As for the Bud seen on the streets, several small stores on 5th sell it for the tourists. Don't recall seeing in Chedraui. I know its sold in Cancun at the Walmart and Sams club. If you have any questions on cooking or buying food, let me know. We go down quite often as we have an apartment there.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:58 AM

There are sveral kinds of domestic beer if you go to a supermarket or whatever. Corona, Corona Familiar, Negro Modelo, Victoria, Montejo, etc. Also some imported beer. Prices are quite similar to the U.S. although something like Corona Familiar in a returnable bottle is less.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Only one type of beer at the all inclusives? Is this true? What about the Moon Palace?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Curiously, the original poster knows about the beer choices at the resorts, but not the water.

Yes, by all means drink only bottled water. We have always used tap water to brush our teeth but we have always stayed at resorts, not a condo.

The AI resorts have many types of beer. If you just say "cerveza" they will grab whatever, but you can order brands. We have had Corona, Leon, and XX, never even saw Modelo.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I would steer clear of the American brands.

Not only are they more expensive, they also taste worse.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:16 AM

Most condos supply bottled water which is replaced every other day. Check with your rental to make sure.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I agree - stick to bottled water. Other ideas from folks on this forum to keep from getting sick:

1. Take 2 acidophillus tablets (available OTC at pharmacies and health food stores) daily for 2 weeks before your visit and during your visit.
2. In addition, chew 2 Pepto-Bismal tablets before every meal.

I have been sick on previous trips to Mexico. Recently we went for 2 weeks and all 5 of us in my family did these two preventatives and no one got sick.