Reload this Page >

Playa Del Carmen - getting sick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:14 AM
jill

Everyone says if you stay at the Aventura to go into Playa Del Carmen for nightlife. But we are concerned about getting sick - eating/drinking -from the water. Is this a concern?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Mandy

Just returned from PDC this week and am not sick. You should be fine drinking at your resort. Ask for bottled water if you go out in the evenings to some of the restaurants in town. You should be fine.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:45 AM
xxx

I think people are referring to the ice cubes if you go out of the resort. The water may not be bottled and you would run the risk of getting sick. I think it is the ice you need to look out for. I am not sure, but this is my take on it. You should be fine. Many people go there and seem o.k.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Greg

When travelling in Mexico, I drink beer, soft drinks or bottled water, period; this was you leave open only bad bacteria from food<BR>Gp

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Susan

Really, you can get sick at your resort just as easy as some place in town!<BR><BR>Stick to bottled water, beer or soda no ice if you are nervous. Although most restaurants have purified ice delivered.<BR><BR>Eat at places that are busy with lots of customers. Most problems that lead to getting sick (IMHO) come from food that has been improperly refrigerated, handled, sat around too long, got reheated once too often.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Marilyn

The Rules: Cook it, peel it, or don't eat it. (Live by them or risk the consequences.)<BR><BR>You don't have to worry about the water at your hotel -- they will almost certainly provide bottled water and/or large bottles for refills in the hallways. <BR><BR>At restaurants you can ask if the ice is made from &quot;agua purificado&quot;, or don't trust it and stick to bottled drinks. Mexico has come a long way in this regards, but there is always a small risk from dishwashing rinse water left in a glass or on a plate. C'est la vie, as they say elsewhere.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 05:42 AM
katie

Watch out for salads and uncooked veggies/fruits that are not peeled as they are often washed with tap water. I got really sick with a parasite after traveling to PDC and I never drank water or drinks with ice, and thought I was being careful.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
x

Just drink Tequila. It kills any bacteria.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:14 AM
xxx

I love Mexico and have traveled there many times over the years. I have always, upon coming home, been sick. No matter what I try and do or avoid it just happens to me. A slight fever, chill, etc. lasts a few days. Everyone's system is different. They have certain micororganisms that ones body is not use to and when we travel and expose ourselves to other ones we tend to get sick. I am always thankful it happens after returning home. I don't think that returning home has a thing to do with it, but the fact is it kicks in on the 8th day, after a weeks vacation. My husband is fine, never a problem.I always think maybe this trip will be different but never fails. It always happens. Jill, you might try taking an antibiotic with you. That may help. Then again you may not have any problem whatsoever. Just go and enjoy.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Kitchen

Definitely stick to purified, bottled water- agua purificada, or agua embotellada. Avoid the fruit vendors you are bound to see, especially those in the zocalo. We ate mainly at restaurants on Avenida Quinta and never had a problem. We also took our chances and went to a great restaurant that local go to, called El Correro (I hope that it is still there- this was 2 years ago). Never once did we get sick, thankfully. Follow the advice from other posts. Keep your eyes open for sanitary conditions, just like you would in any country. Pack some meds just in case, unless you are comfortable going into a farmacia and asking for meds. Good luck!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 06:26 AM
xxxx

I stayed at the Royal Hideaway a few years ago and became very ill the last day of vacation. I went to the Dr.'s when I got home and found that I had a parasite. I was careful to drink bottled water, ect. I did eat in town a few times though. My husband never got sick. I guess you never know. I do know that after losing 15 pounds and taking over a month to feel better, I personally will think twice about ever visiting Mexico again! Just my opinion.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:27 AM
cb

Microorganisms in Mexico are different to those you may find in the US. Sometimes this is the cause of illness.<BR><BR>Most restaurants and hotels do get purified ice delivered. Hotels usually have filtration systems in their running water (unless you are staying at a dive).<BR><BR>Prepare your body with Pepto. It can work wonders! Take a tablet or two each day, and you'll be fine... (except that your poo will be black)

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

xxxx, that is terrible. How did the Dr. know it was a parasite? I guess that is not the same idea as Montezumas Revenge. Makes me wonder where and how you picked it up. You and hubby were at the same places and ate the same things. This sounds like it was pretty severe!! I don't blame you for not visiting there again.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 08:57 AM
why

I really wonder if all of you who are so worried about getting sick in Mexico even go. Did you know there are lots of bugs you can pick up in your own house. Use a little common sense. What about ecoli that runs around in the US.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:47 AM
travelers diarrea

Picking up an actual parasite is very uncommon! If you stay sick for several weeks after your return, sometimes doctors do test for it.<BR><BR>Much more common is BAD bacteria (Montezumas revenge) which is not fun but clears up itself within a couple weeks (terrible the first couple days, then gradually improving). Imodium will stop the sh*ts but won't help cure anything.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM
xxx

Well my Dr. told me it is better to not take anything to stop the sh*t it is better for the body to purge it out. He said it could be dangerous to stop it. The body wants it &quot;out&quot;. If you are on vacation the natural response is to stop it. Alto!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Imodium

I absolutely agree with the above post!! EXCEPT should you find that you have to be on a bus or something like that away from a bathroom, then I do take only 1/2 table for that one time. Other than that I simply lay by the pool, close to my (bath)room!!!!!

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 05:54 AM
xxxx

What I had was more than just your typical &quot;montazumas revenge.&quot; It came on very suddenly and severely and really never let up. As time went on, I felt very weak and knew that I was becoming dehydrated. Also, I was pretty much house bound. It was gross, but you must bring in a sample, and at that point, I didn't really care. I was so relieved to finally find out that it was a parasite and with the help of high doses of bactrim for nearly 3 weeks, I finally started to feel better. I do think this rarely happens, but I hope that it is a heads up to anyone that might experience these symptoms for more than a few days. Go to the Dr. and have it checked!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Melhams

I heard that we should take Pepto every day for a week before we go on our trip. Anyone else heard that?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:08 AM
jean

Here's the url for the CDC website that talks about this:<BR><BR>http://www.cdc.gov/travel/diarrhea.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -