Search

3 hours in San Jose

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 hours in San Jose

We are leaving for CR in two weeks, staying at BDC. Just found out our flight back to San Jose was changed, so it looks like we will have about 3 hours in San Jose before we have to be at the airport for our flight home.

Jose at BDC has recommended a driver to take us somewhere, but we don't know what we can realistically do in that short time. Can we make it to see a volcano or should we stay closer to town? Is there a coffee plantation nearby we could tour?

Thanks
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM

I don't think you really have time to go to Poas. It's over an hour away. There's the Doka Coffee Plantation but touring it takes some time. How much time are you allowing yourself at the airport? Some people go to Zoo Ave to see the animals.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Volcanogirl,

Taca recommends arriving at the airport three hours before the flight, so that is what we are allowing.

Do you think we would have time to tour the coffee plantation?

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM

I think you would have time. Do a search for Doka Coffee Estate. I remember their web site gave a description of the tour. I would e-mail them and ask how long the tour lasts. I can't remember the timing of it, but it was pretty in-depth.
Start with a tasting, then looking at seedlings, going out to the field, picking some beans, going to the drying area, roaster, bagging, etc. We really enjoyed it. I think it took us a couple of hours.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Also, Old San Juan is about a 15 minute cab ride away. Everything is really close and within walking distance.

Kim
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Volcanogirl,

The coffee plantation sounds interesting. Looks like the basic tour is about an hour or so. I'm not sure how long it takes to get there - maybe 45 minutes? I don't want us to feel stressed about getting back.

Knlaw,

Did you mean old San Jose? Or is there an area called San Juan?

Old Dec 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Are you mixing up San Jose, Costa Rica with San Juan, Puerto Rico?
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM

reilly, we did an all-day tour through the Peace Lodge, coming and going from there and to Poas Volcano, along with the coffee tour, so I'm not sure how long it would take you to get to the airport. Both are in Alajuela, so I think you would be okay. It was a very interesting tour - I'm not really that into coffee, and I still enjoyed it. The fields were beautiful, and it was fun to do a taste testing.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Old San Juan is fabulous, but it would take you more than 3 hours to get there and back! LOL

Just teasing. . .it's a frequent mix up.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I've run into several visitors over the years in Costa Rica who say, "We just love it here on the island." I think they think they've come to Puerto Rico.

Years ago, there was an exceptional amount of flooding in Costa Rica, and CNN reported it. Even they referred to flooding on "the island."
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have responded.

I think we may just tour San Jose and do some shopping and/or go to a museum; I'm a little nervous about straying too far and then being late to the airport. If it ends up we have more time, I would like to try the coffee plantation tour. But we'll save the volcanoes for another trip.

Any favorite shopping spots or museums?

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM

We haven't done them, but the Gold Museum, Jade Museum, and National Theater are popular.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,

I've read about the first two. We may check one or both out. Thanks again.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM

You're welcome - have a wonderful time!
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM

LOL, reminds me of a couple of gals we met at Bosque del Cabo a few years ago. . .they said it was one of the best islands they had ever visited!

I've always been a bit of a geography nut (no expert, just a nut!), so this always has me shaking my head.

Even the airports make this mistake. We had to remove a carry on from a small Continental plane once and check it. I forgot I had packed a new camera in there as a gift. This is the only time our bag didn't arrive with us in San Jose. It was delivered to us at Playa Flamingo the next day, minus the camera. It had gotten ticketed to San Juan. Who knows where the camera disappeared!

Speaking of. . .my countdown: 8 days!

But first, I get to have dinner with Tully in Tampa! Sounds like a movie, doesn't it? Tully in Tampa. Well, hmmm. . .guess I'd better leave that alone!