3 Full days in Costa Rica

Old Aug 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Full days in Costa Rica

Hi All,

I'll be in Costa Rica at the end of September for 3 full days (not counting arrival and departure days), I think I'm an experienced traveler, usually I don't take tours only when is necessary due to time constrains. I prefer to sleep less and see more while traveling.
I will like your advice, my goals are to see Arenal Volcano, Manuel Antonio, and if possible another attraction. I'm unsure where to setup my base, San Jose has too much traffic and not much to see, I read about Alajuela, I'm open to any recomendations, I arrive and depart at noon.
Thanks for your help,
​​​​​​​Cesar
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Day trips don't work very well in CR since things are far apart, and it takes a while to get from place to place. If I were you I'd pick one area and stick to it since you don't have much time. You may have to spend the last night near SJO due to your flight time. Both the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio are about three hours from SJO airport but in opposite directions; it's about five hours between the two. September is the rainy season.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Volcanogirl, I was thinking to arrive and go to Arenal Volcano spend a night or two there and then go to Manuel Antonio spend a night and leave by 6am. For this I'll plan to drive, not sure if it is safe to drive end of September, I'm thinking is rainy season and how good are the roads there. I'll appreciate your input on this.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Alajuela is a good place to crash for the night. My husband and I stayed there at the beginning and end of our month long stay in Costa Rica. There are plenty of decent hotels to choose from and it could be the good middle ground you're looking for. I agree with Valcanogirl through, it would mean a lot of driving to be able to see two destinations so far apart.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With only 3 days, you need to pick one place to stay and enjoy. I agree with the others.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 02:19 AM

The roads in those areas are in pretty decent shape, but you could find yourself driving in the rain. Keep in mind that MA park is closed on Mondays.