Search

2 weeks mayan riviera

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks mayan riviera

My husband and I are looking to spend two weeks in PDC (possibly 1 week PDC, 1 week Tulum) in mid to late May. Are there any places in Tulum with AC, which I would think we would need at that time of the year (like the hut idea, but need air to sleep)? <BR><BR>Any comments on Hotel Deseo in PDC? Have been spoiled by past three vacations and have a tighter budget this year. We are not interested in AI. Thought we could save some money in Tulum and splurge more in PDC. I have been to Cancun and IM. Don’t care about nightlife, would like food options, and basically want the sea and a good book. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.<BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM

We have stayed at Ana y Joses in Tulum. I believe some units have air. As for Playa, I would not recommend Deseo at all. You should consider the following hotels in Playa: Mosquito Blue, the condos at the Blue Parrot, El faro and the Playa-Maya. Long time traveler to Playa, here now and have been since Christmas. Need some help, feel free to email me at [email protected].
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:27 PM

We stayed at a timeshare near PDC called Mayan Palace, which was nice but isolated.<BR><BR>In Playa we spent the day at a great place called Mimi Del Mar which I would recommend.<BR><BR>Regarding Tulum, I don't think Tulum itself (besides the ruins) has much to offer and I would probably stick with Playa or somewhere nearby for your base camp and do day trips to everywhere else.<BR><BR>Other places that looked great: the Iberostar riviera maya, Aventura Playa.<BR><BR>Other cheap options--you might be able to rent a condo or something at Akumal or Paamul.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your comments.<BR><BR>Has PDC become Cancun? I went to Cancun about 9 years ago and while I loved the beach and the sea, I did not like Cancun because it seemed like I was in Miami. I loved PV because I felt like I was in Mexico, but was looking for that blue water and white sand. I wanted to get away from t-shirt shops and typical tourist traps, which is why I thought of Tulum.<BR><BR>Maybe my timing (needing ac) is off and should consider another location for now and try this area in the winter months. I was in PV five years ago about the same time and it was brutally hot (okay since I had ac to sleep.<BR><BR>I can�t imagine how I planned trips before this forum! Thanks for your help, Kassi<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:35 PM

I don't think PDC is Cancun, but it is very touristy yet charming. For the environment you're looking for, check out Porto Morelos. It is not touristy yet still a great little mexican town.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Very much agree with Kellygirl's comments regarding Playa.<BR>I would recommend a small hotel called Treetops--good rates, excellent location(half block from beach) and operated by a couple who live on site. They do have a website where you can check rates and book.<BR>Enjoy!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:47 AM

I stayed at the Deseo with my girlfriend and another couple and we loved it!!! As a group of twenty and thirtysomethings looking to take a break from our lazy meanderings along the Mayan Riviera and kick it up a notch, the Deseo was the perfect spot.<BR><BR>I was reminded of a toned-down Delano Hotel in South Beach, where the people were just as beautiful but had far less attitude. If you go to the Delano, be prepared to get very little sleep--the world lounge/trance music is even pumped into the rooms. If that's not enough of a hint, the complimentary earplugs and condoms by the bed should be pretty fair indications that your fellow guests have other nocturnal pursuits than sleeping in mind . . . . <BR><BR>Depends upon what you want--I'm getting charged up right now thinking about forging back into the fray at the Deseo bar . . . .