Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

2 female friends traveling - Aruba? Curacao? Belize? Mexico (still safe?)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of going mid - May for a week. We are active women in our 30's & 40's and like to relax, enjoy the beach, water sports, horses, exploring, hiking, tennis, good nightlife, etc. Suggestions?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know Mexico... I have been to Puerto Vallarta (19 times), La Paz and Cabo San Lucas (once each so far) on the Baja. All are nice towns with tourist ammenities and all the things you list. Yes those places are safe (the "danger" in Mexiso is very isolated and very specific to drug wars nothing involving tourists).
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Have you considered Bonaire? Beautiful beaches & reefs that you can swim to, low-key but nice selection of bars & restaurants, nice Nat'l Park that you can drive thru and walk around. Don't recall seeing many horses or teenis courts though.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM

yes mexico is safe in tourism like vallarta, los cabos, cancun, cozumel and other places but if u go to mexico city u need a mexican friend so u wouldnt get lost, but i recomend u my beautiful city the home of tequila and mariachis Guadalajara, a full of histories and is called the most mexican city and mexican ppl from other states nicknamed my city the pearl of the west
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I don't know if you've considered it, but you might like Costa Rica.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Be sensible and Mexico is safe, There are places to avoid, as there are in New York or Miami or Los Angeles. However most areas people will care for you. Oaxaca has architectural treasures. Queretaro is a city of music. Beaches on both coasts are superb and the food is the best in the Americas. I am an old man, in my 70s and road my small Honda up through Mexico last year on my way north from Argentina to New York. I loved the Sierra Gorda. I revisited a Pacific Coast beach, still totally unspoilt. I did not enjoy the big resorts, not because of danger but because they had lost their Mexican character and had become offshoots of North American culture which I prefer to experience at first hand in North America. Should you wish, check out my BLOG at www.simongandolfi.com
Be courteous and have fun...
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you would enjoy Playa del Carmen. Great little town with some wonderful resorts. You could explore the ruins, zip line, etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM

There is such a world of difference between Belize and Aruba. I've never been to Aruba, because I understand it's very Americanized, lots of high rises. Not my kind of place, that doesn't mean it might not be what you're looking for.

I love Belize, I'm here now, for a month. On Ambergris Caye, the most touristy spot in the country. But, touristy in Belize is a relative term. Lots of choices for accomodations (none over three stories, at least in town, there are some four story buildings going up north and south of town). Lots of restaurants, some fun bars, music somewhere every night. Not much shopping, just your usual souvenir shops. Great snorkeling, but you need to get to the reef to enjoy it, not much walk in. Kayaks area available. Day trips to the mainland for Mayan ruins, cave tubing, the Zoo.

Also fishing, sailing, kite boarding, wind surfing. Not the greatest beaches by any means. The proximity of the reef means lots of sea grass along the shore. The beaches are white sand, the water is clear, but not good for walk in swimming.

If beach is your main priority, I'd head north to the Yucatan in Mexico. The beaches around Tulum are stunning. They're nice in Playa del Carmen as well, which might be a good fit, although not for hiking.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I've been to Costa Rica and loved it. I wasn't too worried about Mexico safety - but figured I should ask since a lot of people gave me misinformation. I appareciate all your input!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Belize is a wonderful, safe, adventurous country with beautiful beaches (in some spots). Check out Hopkins Village, I've been living here for many years. It has pristine beaches and is easy to go on various adventures such as waterfall hikes, Maya ruin tours, snorkeling, diving and fishing.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I think we've settled on Playa del Carmen. Now, just deciding between hotels and all-inclusives. Any input?
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AI or a hotel is a personal choice. We have gone both ways.
The good thing about AI is you don't have to worry about anything. Just sit back and relax. No having to figure out where to eat or what to do for entertainment.
ON the other hadn, it can be fun to explore different restaurants/bars, etc. in Playa.
Right in Playa is an adults only all inclusive the Royal Playa del Carmen. It is great and you won't be bothered by children there. It's right on the beach with great service, good food, activities and a five minute walk from the heart of Playa.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your suggestions. My travel agent has a few great deals for us - but we're kind of drawn to the Iberostar (and I know it's a $5 cab ride to the center of town - not an issue for us). The layout of the place seems extraordinary and the jungle aspect/animals inhabiting parts of it sound amazing. What do youthink? HAve you heard anything about this place? The other ones we are considering are the Riu Palace Mexico and the Riu Palace Maya Riviera - any input on those? Thanks again.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM

both are good u can choose either