16 day in yukatan

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 day in yukatan

We are planning a journey of 10 day in yukatan. We would like to start in Cancun, go to Merida, Campeche Palenque, Chetumal Tulum and then Isla Holbox or Playa del Carmen (4-6 nights). Do you think that this trip is possible? We would like to see the cultural highlights as well as the djungle and the beach.
Has anybody been in the hotels ikal del mar or villas delphinas? Itīs so difficult to decide....
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Your plan is very ambitious. Have you looked at a map to see the distances between these places?

I have stayed at Ikal del Mar, but now it's called The Tides. It was very nice.
Stayed on Holbox at Paraiso del Mar, next to Villas Delfines. Villas Delphines is a good choice.

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM

Hi,

We went for 15 days this past May and stayed at the following places: Akumal (4 nights), Uxmal (1 night), Campeche (2 nights), Chichen Itza (1 night), back to Akumal for 2 nights, and then Isla Mujeres for last 4 nights. We had a rental car and covered a lot of territory.

I would skip Cancun (unless you want the shopping and clubbing), also Chetumal (stay in Bacalar instead although the Mayan Museum in Chetumal is worth seeing).

Concentrate on some beach time in PDC, Akumal, Tulum or any combination and then add in a few days to go inland to see ruins and local culture. Merida and Uxmal or maybe Valladolid + Chichen Itza and Ek Balam ruins is one good option. Another good option is to spend a few days down in Chiapas but it is a VERY long drive to Palenque. Third option which we are considering for next trip is to stay at Bacalar & Xcalak a few nights after Akumal, then visit the Rio Bec ruin sites.

I am sure you will have a nice time. Sorry I do not know anything about the hotels you mention.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM

I would recommend staying in Valladolid for 1 or 2 nights, seeing Chichen Itza and possibly Ek Balam, and then head to Merida. Once in Merida there are numerous Mayan sites and colonial cities to visit. The Emerald Coast is less than an hour away, so you could drive back along the coast road, stopping for some beach time, and then head back to Cancun to fly out. Check out Yucatan Today's online version at http://www.yucatantoday.com for lots of info about the area.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information! The route gets clearer...
Pepper, which hotel would you prefer of both if you like to dive or/and snorkle, to relax on your own and if you like enjoying your food? It should be quiet and a (very)little bit to see or to do...And the amosphere should be relaxing...
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM

If you mean which hotel on Holbox, I'd try Villas Delfines next time. The food at Paraiso del Mar was bland/boring and uninspired. There really isn't much for snorkling or diving around Holbox - there are a few tours to some islands and to a cenote, but that's about it. But...if you are going in the summer months, you can snorkle with whale sharks - that was our main reason for visiting Holbox. You might pick the areas around PDC for snorkling/diving. Actually, Akumal (south of PDC) is better known for it's snorkling and diving.

Y'know...you might be thinking of a different Villas Delfines (I only know of the one on Holbox) since you are comparing it to Ikal del Mar (The Tides). But if it's the same hotel...
They are in two totally different categories. The Tides is much more lux and Villas Delfines is like upscale camping.

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Pepper,

I really mean the villas delphines on Holbox which I would like to compare with the Tides. I wanted to compare the both hotels despite of the different categories because you have a small cottage just on your own and the atmosphere seems very relaxing in both.
I read some reviews about the hotel "the tides". Most of them say that it is very expensive for not a good value and it is very noisy and loud. You should hear trucks and the road. Have you had the same experience? The pictures of the todes look so beautiful . It is very difficult to find small cottages at a nice beach which are less expensive and not fully booked for february 2008. Do you have any further recommendations for Yukatan hotel with cottages and nice beaches?