Best route from Uxmal to Tulum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am developing iteration number gazillion of possible itineraries for our Yucatan/Playa vacation .

We are renting a car and would need to drive from Uxmal to Tulum. Which is the best route? Can we do this in a day?

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM

From Uxmal, travel north on 261 to ther Periferico east to Carretera 180, the toll road toward Cancun. Get off at the Valladolid exit, to take the road to Coba--which will become the road to Tulum. Just be sure and slow down at each little pueblo for the topes "sleepy policemen"--hellacious traffic bumps that will rip up the underside of the car. You could also exit at Piste and have a "drive-by" glimpse of Chichen Itza. You can do it in a few hours.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM

That's quite a drive. We drove from Merida to Uxmal then back to Merida and went to Chichen Itza, then down past Playa Del Carmen on to Tulum. I don't remember the time line. But it seems like it was about 1 - 1/12 hours to Uxmal from Merida. Merida to Playa Del Carmen around 4 hours, but I could be off. PDC to Tulum is easy within an hour. It might be 5 - 6 hours and this was awhile ago. If you are going from Uxmal to Tulum you would want to spend a couple of nights at least in Tulum and it would be worthwhile. Are you planning on stopping at Chichen Itza? It is pretty spectacular and it's between Merida and Cancun. The road from Chichen Itza to PDC is good.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

TrvlMaven & Blondlady: Thanks!

I will already have visited Chichen at this point of the trip so I was interested in the southern routes.

I will spend two nights in Tulum and then two more in PDC. We will drive to Uxmal from Merida and spend the first day visiting the site. The second day we would see the samll Puuc sites and visit the caves. We have to decide if we want to drive straight to Tulum that afternoon or if we should spend the second night in Uxmal and drive in the morning.

It is quite a possibility that we could see the Uxmal site in the late morning and then do te puuc sites that same afternoon. Then we would only do the caves the second day and we would have a clear window to make it to Tulum at a decent time.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM
Pausanias

Have you considered driving directly to Merida from Cancun airport the first day, then stopping near Chichen Itza for a night on your way to Tulum?

While it is certainly possible to visit Uxmal and the Puuc cities in one day, there are a few things to consider. These are among the most interesting ruins in Mexico, and you might want to spend at least a few hours in Uxmal alone, especially if you bring a guidebook. (Coe's Archaeological Mexico, 2nd edition is pretty good.) The second point is, despite their great interest, you might "burn out" if you try to see them all in one day. The third point -- it's hot, and a full day on the ruins can be tiring.

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

OK!!! Thanks to all. This is the current itinerary please feel free to make suggestions:

Day 1 - Fly SJU-CUN-MID drive to Ek Balaam Overnight: Ek Balaam
Day 2 - Visit Ek Balam and Chichen Itza Overnight: Chichen Itza
Day 3- Drive to Merida and visit town Overnight: Merida
Day 4 - Drive to Uxmal and visit Uxmal Overnight: Uxmal
Day 5 - Visit puuc,caves, drive to Tulum Overnight???
Day 6 - Tulum/Coba Overnight: Tulum
Day 7 - Xel-Ha Overnight: Tulum or PDC
Day 8 - Playa del Carmen Overnight: PDC
Day 9 - Playa del Carmen Overnight: PDC
Day 10- Drive from PDC to CUN fly home