Search

14 Days Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 Days Costa Rica

Hello,
My husband and I are returning to Costa Rica in April. Last year we spent most of our time on the Caribbean coast and loved it!! This time we want to explore a bit more. We fly into San Jose and so far plan to spend 2-3 nights in Arenal, 2 in Monteverde. From there we are thinking Osa but aren't sure of the best places to stay or what to do. From Osa we want to shoot across to the Caribbean side but don't know the best route to take across. We want to stay at least 4-5 nights on the Caribbean, so we have about 4 nights to go anywhere else. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM

I would suggest 3 nights in Arenal because there's a lot to see and do in the area and this gives you 2 full days. Osa is fantastic, highly recommend it for wildlife, nature and hiking. Bosque del Cabo is a wonderful place to stay (returning for a 2nd trip in April). Great cabinas with amazing views, abundance of wildlife, wonderful trail system, super staff, terrific (wow) food and great social area around the bar and pool for "happy hour" and after dinner. I think the easiest way to get from Osa to Puerto Viejo would be to fly from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose and from San Jose to Limon and taxi to PV. Other methods would be Interbus from San Jose area or rental car or public bus. Don't know where you stayed in PV last time, but I highly recommend Banana Azul. We are staying at Azania Bungalows this time around, mainly due to BA starting to try and aim at adult clientele (not that you can't take kids there, that's just where they're headed).
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM

It's a long drive from Osa to the Caribbean, because you'll have to go back to San Jose or Cartago. There is no way to cross Costa Rica further in the south. Have a look at the map from www.yourtravelmap.com , there you'll find driving directions and driving times.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM

I want to second hip's recommendation for Bosque del Cabo. We went this past July and loved it. The wildlife we saw from the front porch of our cabin was staggering. Wonderful trails there ands lots of opportunities for adventure off the property like swimming with wild dolphins, waterfall repelling, surfing, horseback riding, etc. The staff, food, and views are amazing.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!! The map is definitely helpful. So, I think that we have decided on 2 days in Arenal, 4 days in Osa and 5 days on the southern Caribbean coast. We really don't want to spend more than $100 per night, but are looking more on the budget end of things. While Bosque del Cabo looks amazing, we just don't want to spend the money. Any other suggestions??
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Anita_Dave

Haven't stayed at the Pearl at Iguana Lodge, but regulars who stay there really enjoy it. And there, you have the beaches and Osa and closer to your budget.

Also within your budget I highly recommend Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo. Terrific place and El Silencio del Campo in Arenal. They may have raised their rates a little this past year, but I believe their still a good bargain and are now offering free entry to the hot springs on their property. Great place, awesome local owners and staff.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Uh, duH! I just realized I already posted the same recommendation a couple of days ago. I think I'm the one needing a vacation!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:58 AM

If you're still looking at the Osa, you could also look at The Lookout Inn. It's farther out, in Carate, takes about 2 hours from PJ. It's fairly priced, not fancy but good lodging and you're only an hour walk from Corcovado.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the advice!! I have contacted El Silencio and Iguana Lodge. They both look really great!! Now, what are some must does at both Arenal and Osa???