Search

12 day trip to Peru

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 1998, 05:04 PM
AMCA

12 day trip to Peru

I would like to find out from those that have been to Peru - should I try to find a tour group before I arrive in Lima to go to Lima-Cusco-Machu Pichu-Puno-Lima - if so what tour group would you recommend or should I look for a tour company once we get to Lima. Plan to travel in Nov 98. Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 19th, 1998, 12:58 PM
Dave Olim

We went to Peru last Dec. Amazon to Lima to Cuzco to Machu Piccu to Lima. We went with a group with International Expeditions - we are a little older and are not very adventurous by ourselves. <BR>There are a number of tour companies that go to Peru. It was wonderful - Machu Piccu was thrilling. We also saw the Nazca lines. If you would like - e-mail me for more info.

Old Sep 21st, 1998, 10:42 AM
Patsy

<BR>We went to Peru last Dec./Jan. Had a great time and a wonderful tour guide by the name of Hugo Paullo who owns Southern Cross Adventures in Cuzco. He's a veteran trekker and knows the area very well as well as having friends in Lima to help with connections, etc. His phone in cuzco is 51-84-237649 or fax 51-84-239447. He speaks English and can usually book whatever you want. He made all of our arrangements through Lima-Cuzco-the Sacred Valley-Machu Pichu-Cuzco-Lima. His prices depend on how much you want to spend. We found him very reasonable for his basic package. Example: expensive hotels or adequate hostels and everything in between. Just let him know what you're looking for. Have a great trip. Wish I was going back to see more.

Old Sep 26th, 1998, 02:53 PM
Carol

I would strongly rocommend you contact EXPLORANDES in Cusco: phone 23 -1913 & fax 23 -3784. They did an excellent job helping us plan an itinerary during our July visit to Peru and Bolivia. We had a wonderful trip that included hiking around Cusco, visiting Machu Pichu, spenting some time on the islands of Lake Titicaca and a visit to La Paz.

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 06:52 AM
Harriet

We just returned from Peru this weekend - the four of us hired a 4x4 (we did the same last year in Yucatan, Mexico and found it the most fun and inexpensive way to explore) in Lima and headed along the South roads. Went to Nazca; stayed at the wonderful Hotel de la Borda (highly recommended), then headed to Arequipa; stayed at La Casa de Melgar, also wonderful and recommended (very rustic), then drove to Puno and Cuzco before heading back to Nazca via Abancay; stayed at the tourist hotel there, which was very pleasant - they're refurbishing and it looks great (marble reception, etc), staying at the Hotel de la Borda again before stopping for a night in a tiny fishing village just South of Lima, flying back to the UK the next day. I would recommend travelling by car, as we really got to see first hand the salt lakes and all the tiny villages. The roads are very good, with the worst stretch being the Arequipa to Juliaca run (dusty and mountainous!). The people are all very friendly - we found Lima far too busy and very expensive, compared to everywhere else we visited. It's very easy to shop around once you're there, to find the best deals if you decide to take internal flights to Cuzco, Puno, etc. Bear in mind that these towns are quite tourist-y, though!! We had a fantastic taste (three weeks would be perfect for the area South of Lima and probably another three for the North) and plan to go back - to see Peru North of Lima. Buy your plane ticket and shop around - lots of bargaining is always possible, especially out of season! Have a wonderful time.