Search

10 days in Belize in May

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Belize in May

Hi! I will be travelling in Belize in the last part of June with my husband. We are looking of beaches along with activities such as snorkeling and visiting the ruins. We would like it to be somewhat quiet and definitely stress-free!! Any suggestions for Must-do's? Any accommodation or restaurant suggestions would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 02:05 AM

I love to go out into the jungle and retrace the routes of the old plantation railroads.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:22 AM

Four main beach areas in Belize. The northern most, and most visited is Ambergris Caye. Lots of lodging/dining options at all price points. Also, the busiest and most developed. Still no high rises, no chain hotels or restaurants. Narrow, white sand beaches. Clear blue Caribbean water. Tends to be lots of sea grass due to lack of wave action.

No waves because the reef is less than a mile off shore and the surf breaks there.

20 minutes away by boat is Caye Caulker. Smaller and less developed than Ambergris. Not much for beaches, but, a fun vibe to the island. Mostly small guest houses or house rentals.

Hopkins is south of Belize City. Small village. I've never been. 10 miles to the reef. Would have fairly easy access to the sites on the mainland, since you wouldn't have the boat trips that you do from the northern cayes.

Placencia is still further south. 16 mile long peninsula. Pretty beaches. The village of Placencia is at the southern tip of the peninsula. Fun little town. Enough restaurants and such to make for a fun trip. By now the reef is 18 miles off shore.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Katzgar & JeanH! This is definitely helpful. I'm still not totally sure what the best thing is going to be for our trip, but I thinking to go through as below:

Fly from London via Miami to Belize.

Belize for 4nights (Chaa Creek)
Visit the mayan ruins at Caracol or Xunantunich, canoeing in Barton Creek Cave, adventure-caving at Actun Tunichil Muknal, wildlife walks, horse-riding or river-tubing.

Fly Belize to Ambergris Caye for 5 nights
Relax on the beach; windsurfing, snorkeling, diving.

Return to Belize to catch our onward flight.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM

We stayed at Chaa Creek and really liked it. We paired it with Victoria House on Ambergris, and it was great. Don't miss snorkeling at Hol Chan; it's some of the best we've ever done.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Great plan.....you'll love Chaa creek!
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Volcanogirl & SiteC_er,

Victoria House look nice will check them..
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 05:54 AM

Chelsie K. from United States posted on seekatrip.com a great itinerary of 8 days in Belize. It includes snorkelling in Caye Caulker and night snorkelling also.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Here was our 11 day itinerary: 3 nts Chaa Creek & 7 nts Ambergris Caye (Banyan Bay Condos). Only change I would make would be to add a trip to Tikal and spend 1 less day on Ambergris. Enjoy!
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM

I did 8 nights in Belize in May 2012. I did 2 nights Chaa Creek, 1 overnight trip to Tikal, 2 more days at Chaa Creek and 3 days in Ambergris at Xanadu Resort. Highlights for me were Tikal and exploring the ATM cave near San Ignacio. I was not a huge fan of Ambergris Caye,while the diving and water activities were greate island itself just wasn't for me. Many people love it though. For Chaa Creek try to get a deal through Luxury Link, they allowed me to split the 4 day package so I could do the TIkal overnight.
http://www.luxurylink.com/5star/hote...ek?PDP_Test1=1