Zurich vs. Cologne

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Zurich vs. Cologne

Hello!
In an effort to save money on flying and visit new cities, we are debating whether to begin our trip in Zurich or Cologne. Either way, we will probably spend a few days in the city and then road trip to visit our friends in Barcelona. I would appreciate your general impressions of the two cities, and if you would recommend one over the other. And even better, if you have any experience with the general route from there to Barcelona. (We have been to BCN and southern France before.) Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Neither.

I would rather visit Speyer than Cologne.

I would rather spend my time in Luzern than Zürich.

Thin
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 07:38 AM

For this kind of road trip it doesn't matter whether Zurich or Cologne are nicer, but which itinerary you prefer.
If you prefer to travel through the Alps or along the Riviera, Zurich is the better starting point. If you prefer an itinerary via Luxemburg and Central France, Cologne is better.

I suppose you will go back to Germany or Switzerland after your stay at Barcelona. If not, rent your car at the French border (Basel airport, resp. Metz or so) and give it back in France too (Perpignan or so), in order to avoid huge costs.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 05:19 PM

Hi , I think this comes down to your interests, I've been to both cities, as most who answer will have most likely also visited or lived in . If you are into high mountains, lovely scenery, hiking, you are very close in Zurich. I found Zurich to be a very pretty clean city, easy to navigate and great trains to everywhere in Switzerland. There are chocolate shops all over, which is fun, but the city is pretty costly as is all of Switzerland. I personally would choose Zurich, but that might not be for you. Sue
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by parsonsc View Post
Hello!
In an effort to save money then road trip to visit our friends in Barcelona.
Two different competing goals. If you want to save money fly to Barcelona. Driving is something you do if you don't care about cost. To do it right you'll spend weeks doing the drive. If you just head down the highway at 130km/h in the shortest time possible it'll be better from basically every way to fly.

If you are willing to take time stopping then do the drive.

Cologne is a nice city . All of Switzerland is expensive.