Zurich to Venice Flight

Search

Zurich to Venice Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich to Venice Flight

My husband has a unexpected business trip to Milan in September so I am going with him. I talked him into a few days on the front side in Venice. Trouble is a lot of award flights are already taken. We are going to fly on Swiss Air (AA miles). We arrive in Zurich in the am but can't get a flight to Venice until approximately 4 p.m. - an 8 hour lay over! Now, I wouldn't mind spending the day in Zurich but would rather just continue on to Venice and get in earlier. Can anyone point me in the right direction to check on flights on other airlines to Venice? I keep hearing about small inexpensive airlines in europe but have no idea what their names are. Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Unfortunately SWISS is the only airline flying from Zurich to Venice (and they're withdrawing the service in late October as part of a massive route-cutting and company downsizing).
Any other airlines would involve a stopover.
Have you thought of other routings to Italy or is Zurich your only option?
If you are using AA miles you could try to book on BA via Gatwick.

Federico
Venice, Italy

p.s. there are loads of low-cost carriers in Europe but unfortunately none of them fly Zurich-Venice. And soon there will be NO airline on this route

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Are there any small airlines that fly from Venice to Vienna?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information Federico. We are using an award ticket and booking late thus, not many flights are left. Swiss Air is our only choice. We did try to get into Gatwick. Well, there are worse places to be on a lay over. We love Switzerland but it will be such a tease - only 8 hours! I had thought of the train, but no, probably take 8 hours.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Intrepid

You are correct about the train..the fastest and with changes takes 7 hrs and 59 minutes and probably leaves before you could possibly catch it anyway.
Take the train into the city from the airport and at least have a walk around...I agree it is a "tease" but better than cooling your heels at the airport.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Venexiano - what are the options now (or aren't there any) for getting from Zurich to Venice by air?? It's our preferred hub from Australia (we usually fly Singapore Air or Thai) and is much preferable to Frankfurt or Paris.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Maryk, right now Swiss flies that route 3x daily, but with the introduction of the winter timetable (at the end of October) this service will be withdrawn (along with a host of other cities - see this press release: http://www.swiss.com/index/sw-nw-pr-...m?newsid=25647). Apparently Swiss is in talks with other carriers to take over the routes but I haven't heard anything so far. So if they don't make any arrangements, after October you would have to stop over at a European hub to get from Zurich to Venice, quite sad really! I think the best routings would be something like Zurich-Munich-Venice, or Zurich-Milan-Venice.

Federico
Venice, Italy

p.s.the Swiss booking system shows the Venice flights as bookable even after October, but I just called them and they confirmed they will be discontinued.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

I could only find 2 flights on Swiss - one in the morning and one in the afternoon between Zurich and Venice. Perhaps the third flight didn't pop up on the American site - could be booked already.

There are lots of flights to Venice on other airlines out of Paris but unfortunately, we can't get to Paris on American on an award ticket. So, we are resigned to the Zurich 8 hour layover.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Have taken this leg from Zurich to Venezia a number of times in past years
in both directions, am returning in November and was very suprised that SWISS will discontinue 3 flites in November. Can understand one or two, however all three. One time they flew
from Venice to Lugano and then connecting to Zurich but that is gone
too. This is progress???? Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM

There is a train leaving at 11.07 am from Zurich Main station, bringing you to Venice at 18.53, with one stopover in Milan.
Wonderful scenery all along the way!!!