Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich to Rhein Falls (and then boat on river)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we take the train from Zurich to Schaffhausen or Schloss Laufer to visit the falls? I am confused, as I have read both. It seems that Schloss Laufer is right there, but many people suggest Schaffhausen, which then requires a bus ride. Why is that?

We are then planning a boat trip to Stein am Rhein. We start that in Schaffhausen, right? We can take a train back from Stein am Rhein to Zurich airport?
Old Jul 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM

Well I took the train from Lucerne via Zurich to Schlaffhausen, a really neat town completely surrounded by Germany - unique a part of Switzerland on the north side of the Rhine and then did a nice walk on footpaths the few miles to the falls.

There is a train station right at the falls but I do not know if it is called Schloss Laufer - thought it had a different name - a small station served by i believe German regional trains to Schlaffhausen - think it is a German rail line but not sure.

But if you don't mind a few-mile stroll you'll be delighted with the walk.

So it seems you would probably have to go to Schlaffhausen and change trains to the halt -not a station - right at the falls but I really only remember there being a small rail platform/halt right by the falls.

Stein am Rhein has great rail links back to Zurich. Don't know about the boats.
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 04:49 AM

Stein am Rhein to Zurich - you can leave hourly or more and it will take between 1 h 5 mins on the fastest connection to about 1.5 hours on others - all involving one change of train at various places at different times. Just hop on those trains if you have a pass or ticket - if doing a lot of train travel the Swiss Pass can be viable plus it covers boats (not sure Stein am Rhine Rhine boats are fully covered - they may be but all boats on Swiss lakes are covered as well as postal buses, city transit and free entry to 470 Swiss museums.

For lots of great info on Swiss trains, passes, etc I always spotlight: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

the small station right at the falls could be Neuhuasen - the first stop out of Schlaffhausen if I read the Swiss Railways map correctly - but the map is so congested with rail lines down there it is hard to tell.
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 08:33 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...affhausen.html

This discussion may be of interest to you - the small station may be indeed be called Laufen (not sure!)
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Pal you are confusing quite a bit here.

The station next to the Rhine Falls is indeed called "Schloss Laufen". This is the line on the left/Southern bank of the river, operated by Swiss trains only. To Schloss Laufen you have direct connections from Zürich on the S 33 commuter train.

The falls are actually not in Schaffhausen itself but in nearby Neuhausen. Neuhausen station is, however, on the Northern river bank and quite a walk away from the falls. From Schaffhausen the easiest way to reach the falls is the bus #1 to Neuhausen centre.

And by the way, it is Schaffhausen not SchLaffhausen.
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the update on my murky memory - and spend some time in beautiful Schlaffhausen as well - a real surprise - a pleasaant surprise!