Zurich to Lake Como

Search

Zurich to Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich to Lake Como

Hello. Wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to travel from Zurich to Lake Como. Train would seem the most obvious but I know there are several options. I suppose we'd like to see the country. Going to make the journey in late May. Thank you very much.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:03 AM

May be you telll us what you mean with "Zurich", what you mean with "Lake Como" and what you mean with "best way".
What's your origine: Zurich airport, Zurich city center...........?
what's your destination: Como, Cernobbio, Moltrasio, Arcegno, Menaggio, Bellagio, Varenna, Lecco, Fiumelatte, Bellano, Gravedona, Colico.........?
what's" best way": fastest way, most comfortable way, most scenic way, cheapest way, itinerary with most interesting places to stop over, which time of the day?
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, I don't know the areas very well to provide the detail you listed above but we are staying at Dolder Grand in Zurich and Villa d' Este at Lake Como. I'd like to leave mid-morning so we can enjoy some of the afternoon at Villa. I'd like to travel comfortably and see the country between the two places. I will pay for a nicer experience. I've heard Lake Lugano is beautiful. Maybe a stop there for lunch would be nice. I will probably not make this trip again so I'd like to do it right...I'm not in a hurry or pinching pennies on this portion of my trip. Hope that helps Neckervd.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 09:22 AM

Well just take a direct train Zurich-Como via Lugano and then bus or boat to Villa d'Este. Lots on trains - www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd skip Lugano - the lake is nice but a bit far from train station and Lake Como just as nice.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a private driver, the Concierge at Villa d’Este should be able to help you arrange for one.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
www.sbb.ch/en for train tickets and you can get a train from Zurich to the city of Como and take the ferry (or other transportation) from there to your hotel's location You do NOT need to call anybody else, some travel agency, etc., to buy these tickets and you can print them out at home.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 01:43 PM
kja

For the most leisurely way to see the scenery, consider taking a train -- Swiss trains are incredibly comfortable and convenient, and it allows the person who would be driving to actually see and enjoy the spectacular vistas.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Dukey1, got it handled through your website. Cheers!
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 03:28 PM

Not sure if can work starting in Switzerland but check www.trenitalia.com - Italian Railways also for discounted or full-fare tickets.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 07:49 AM

You can either take the direct train Zurich dp 11.10 - Como ar 13.55 and reach Cernobbio and the Hotel Villa d'Este by taxi
or
you may leave Zurich at 9.32 up to Lugano ar 11.48, put your luggage into the railway station lockers and have lunch at Lugano. Take then any train to Chiasso (every 30 min) or Como (every hr) and go on by taxi from either Chiasso or Como.
You may also spend the whole afternoon around Lake Lugano, may be like this:
Leave Lugano railway station by rope railway to the historic city center and go on foot in a few minutes up to the boats pier. Leave Lugano by boat at 12.15, stop over at Gandria for lunch (13.00 - 14.25) and go on by boat to via Morcote - Melide Swissminiatur to Lugano ar 16.05.
If you like it more adventurous and if you don't have much luggage, you may also leave Gandria at 14.55 by boat to Porlezza ar 15.50 and go on by bus dp 16.29 to Menaggio ar 16.54 and reach Cernobbio from there by Lake Como boat or by bus.

You may also visit Lake Lugano from Villa d'Este: take a taxi to Maslianico/Pizzamiglio border (2 miles), board there a Mendrisio bound bus (dp every hr from 6.33 until 19.33) and go on from Mendrisio by train; or go by taxi from Villa d'Este up to Chiasso railway station (3 miles from Villa d'Este).