zurich one day- next sat

Search

zurich one day- next sat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zurich one day- next sat

hi fodorites; I am leaving for my hiking trip next weekend and can't wait; however we will stay one nite at theSwissotel (Oerlikon. I will have one day/ evening and wonder what you might suggest for activities and interesting things to see do; I understand that the village this hotel is in is interesting with maybe a street fair on saturday; and zurich is maybe 10 min; however; only having been there one time before would really appreciate some manageable suggestions; dont want to over do it as i know I will be tirered. Thanks
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

top it
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Hi Jill,

Oerlikon is not a village; it is basically a part of Zurich. It has high rise buildings. If you are looking for a quaint Swiss setting with flowerboxes on the chalet homes, this is not it.

But it is nice. There is a farmers market on Saturday morning till about noon. Your hotel will be able to direct you.

For activities, I suggest you hop the #11 tram (you can get a day card for all transportation in the city. Your hotel can help you with this.)

Take the # 11 tram to Paradeplatz. It will take about 20 minutes and you will see lots of Zurich. At Paradeplatz, you can have a Swiss meal fairly cheaply at the Zeughaus. Just ask where it is when you get off at Paradeplatz tram stop, it is only a few meters from the tram stop.

After a meal (I like #83 on the menu), go to Sprungli, which is also at the Paradeplatz tram stop. This is where the best Swiss chocolates are.

Be aware that all shops close at 4 pm on Saturday, and are not open on Sunday.

From Paradeplatz, you can walk down Bahnhofstr to the lake – it’s only about 1 mile.

Next weekend is Knabenschiessen in Zurich. Monday is a holiday, and there are special events all weekend.
The main event is an amusement park at Albesguetli. From Paradeplatz you can take the 13 tram to Albesguetil (it’s the last stop). This is a real Swiss event with few tourists. Enjoy.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Zurich is a great town, we stay at Baur au Lac when in town. Walk the old town area, it is hard not to find a good wienerschnitzel and rosti, Restaurant Kronenhalle is a good one,
4 Ramistrasse, 41-44/251-6669. Zurich is a very nice town, easy walking to everywhere, enjoy.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful responses!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM

jill, do look in at Baur au lac, we think that it is the finest hotel in all of Europe that we have visited, true Swiss efficiency, i am in the service industry and this hotel has written the book, check it out.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Richard, where is this located? I wonder if you are the same person who helped me with a restaurant in Zurich when i went to Davos in 1999-2000?
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Baur au Lac is, of course, a world-class hotel, just off the Bahnhofstrasse. They have a superb restaurant in there - Rive Gauche.