(Zurich) - Berner Oberland & back; where/what; which way

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm am planning to go to Switzerland in early summer. I will have four days to go from Zurich to Interlaken (~1/2 day) via Lucern (which I'll visit during my stay in Zurich).
My main interest in this trip are scenery, nature, architecture / buildings and photography; not activities, entertainment, indoor museums, etc.

1. On the 4th day, should I take the train from Interlaken (Gstaad) Montereux then to Zurich via Bern, (If so, there is time for one stop only: Montereux Castle Chillon or Bern?)
or better to spend the extra half day in the beautiful Interlaken area, where there is so much to see, and go back to Zurich via Bern?

2. I am planning on staying in Interlaken (preferably East, since most trains leave from there) and visit: Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren, Kliene Schydigg, Jungfrau and/or Schilthorn and maybe Schynige Platte (for the Lakes and Interlaken view)

- Do you recommend taking the time to visit Schynige Platte?
- Is there enough time to visit both Jungfrau and Schilthorn or better to visit one and take the time to visit more towns, listed bellow?
- If only one, Jungfrau or Schilton (scenery!)?

- What is the priority order for visiting the following towns (also taking into consideration the time to reach them): Thun, Wilderswil, Brienz, Ballenberg, Stechelberg, St. Beaus Holen, Iseltvolt, gondola station at First, any other? (to thun or Brienz by boat?)
- Is Lauterbrunen worth a visit, or just to pass by?
- The dramatic Trummelbachfalle - accesible by public transportation?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

I believe that it is a better idea to stay in Lauterbrunnen rather then in Interlaken. Is there a good and easy connection from Lauterbrunnen to the towns around the two lakes (i.e. Thun, Brienz, Ballenberg, St. Beatus Holen, Unterseen, Iseltwald, Horder Kulm)?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM

We loved Lauterbrunnen so my vote is to stay there. You can visit Wengen in a few minutes train ride from there. The trip to Schilthorn goes though Murren which is on the other side of the valley.

The Trummelbachfalle falls are an easy walk from Lauterbrunnen across the fields - I think it took under 30 minutes.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Tuli: we stayed in unfairly maligned (IMO) Interlaken this past fall...at the Hotel Goldey Swiss situated on the River Aare..absolutely beautiful location with great views of the Alps...15 minute very pretty riverside walk to Ost station..easy train rides to Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, etc..here are some pix...

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...rOberland2009#

http://goldey-swiss-quality.hotel-rez.com/

stu tower [email protected]
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM

Hi Tuli,

When exactly in summer will you be there? I only ask because in July and August, Interlaken is a horrible place, with lines and lines of tour busses and their dismounted passengers. In other months, Interlaken is only (relatively) charmless, with its souvenir shops and its Hooters.

I really like staying in one of the car-free villages above Interlaken, where you will be IN the Alps instead of looking up at them. You will be inconvenienced for about 15 minutes in the morning and the evening for your excursions, but you'll get the benefit of a wonderful atmosphere for your entire evenings while "at home."

I also don't like Lauterbrunnen much -- it only sits at 796 m (Wengen at 1274 and Mürren at 1650), and it lies at the bottom of some cliffs that overhang the town. Lots of folks don't even see the cliffs or think they add to the charm of the town -- I just personally don't like them.

As to your question about taking the Golden Pass to Montreux and then back up to Zürich, unfortunately I have to say don't do it. As much as I adore Gstaad and Montreux (my two favorite parts of the country), I never think a train ride is better than being outside. If you had a few days to spend at each, then I'd say go for it! But to just sit on a train for the two or three hours this would take you, I'd say skip it. Spend your day outside in the Jungfrau area, yes see Bern, and then to Zürich.

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your useful responses. They help focus and reduce the confusion.

As I said: My main interest in this trip are scenery, nature (flowers-where?), architecture / buildings and photography; not activities, entertainment, indoor museums, etc.

JUNGFRAU or SCHILTHORN and why, if I have time for one only?

Do you recommend taking the time to visit SCHYNIGE PLATTE?

In the literature there is sooo much material, more or less they recommend going "everywhere" and every place / town is (equally) beautiful, without prioritizing or classifying. So, it is confusing; one can't see everything and it is difficult to choose. Different places / towns are better for different purposes.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Hi Tuli,

I'm afraid that prioritizing your sights is something only you can do. Yes, there's a lot of reading material, but that's the only way to really see what's there. Or -- you could go to google images and see photos of all of these stops and see which of them really appeals to you. It's just so subjective -- what I love to see, you may not be thrilled with.

About flowers -- you haven't said what part of summer you'll be there. In May, there will be flowers in Spiez and Thun and Gstaad and around Lake Geneva; in June there will be flowers in Wengen and Mürren. In July and August, there will be flowers everywhere.

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

JUNGFRAU or SCHILTHORN:
Is it right that the scenery from the top of the Shithorn, which includes the Jungfrau, is more impressive then the view from the Jungfrau? I understand that the tip up the mountain, the Shilthorn, is more scenic then the one to the Jungfrau which is mostly inside the mountain; bit on the top, the Jungfau is nicer.

If I am interested in scenery and photography, which one should I choose?

Do you recommend taking the time to visit SCHYNIGE PLATTE?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Dear Marg and Tower, thanks for your input.

Dear Swandav2000,
Thank you for your response (which I saw only after my last submission. I am planning to be there at the second half of June. If there will be FLOWERS in Wengen and Murren, then in lower places too. In what area can one see a lot of species and large amounts of flowers?

Is a warm JACKET needed at the top of the mountains?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM

Hi again,

Sorry, I'm not much of a flower person. I'm usually in the Oberland in the winter months to ski, too. I do know that the lakeside promenade at Montreux is planted with a wide variety --

Hopefully you'll get these answers soon!

Yes, you'll need a WARM jacket for the mountaintops in mid-June. And maybe some other layers as well.

s
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Yes to the Schynige Platte - personally I enjoyed it more than the Jungfrau, although I can understand not wanting to miss the Jungfrau as an experience. But the Schynige Platte has lovely views, plus there is a very nice alpine garden with lots of flowers - just the thing for you.

"hat is the priority order for visiting the following towns (also taking into consideration the time to reach them): Thun, Wilderswil, Brienz, Ballenberg, Stechelberg, St. Beaus Holen, Iseltvolt, gondola station at First, any other? (to thun or Brienz by boat?)"

Of those I've been to, I would say:
Ballenberg is fantastic, but it is really a full day out if that's an issue. well worth it though, especially as you're interested in buildings. Have a look at their website to get an idea of what it's like.
Brienz is very attractive, and I'd definitely pick that over Wilderswil, but it won't take too long to walk around and take some pictures, and if you get an early start you could combine it with a Ballenberg trip. I think Lake Brienz is prettier than Lake Thun, and the trip is a bit shorter, so I'd recommend boat to Brienz, and bus on to Ballenberg.

I liked Thun, but I'd put Ballenberg ahead if you can pick only one, and it sounds as though you want to spend a fair amount of your time in the mountains. Have you ruled out the other castles around the lake?

If ypu do the Jungfrau you will have to change trains at either Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald anyway.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

JUNGFRAU or SCHILTHORN, if I can only see one?

It seems that it would be worthwhile for me to buy the SWISS-PASS. Is it so?

Someone in one of these forms calculated that it would be cheaper to buy separate tickets.

I am planning to go up one mountain, visit the towns in the Jungfrau valley (5-6), and some towns next / around the two lakes (maybe a boat to Brienz then Ballenberg).
I'll have in the area 2 full days and 2 half days -
the days of travel from and back to Zurich.