Reload this Page >

Zurich and St. Moritz- help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:33 AM
wj

We are planning a quick trip to switzerland (summer) (5 nights) and need advice. We will arrive in ZRH airport and would like to go directly to St. Moritz because we have a hotel deal there. We will then stay in St. Moritz five nights and explore the immediate area. My question is- should we rent a car and drive from ZRH to St. Moritz? or train? What to see in and around St. Moritz? Will we need a car for this? Restaurant recs?<BR><BR>Thanks Swiss Experts!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Claudia

We took the Glacier Express train from Zurich to St. Moritz last summer. Although we were jet lagged, it was a beautiful trip and I highly recommend it. <BR><BR>We didn't need a car in St. Moritz. We walked or took buses to where we wanted to go. We went to Corvatsch glacier, which I think was in Silvaplana (a nearby bus ride). <BR><BR>The Swiss transportation system is incredibly efficient. Once you figure out what you want to do there, I would suggest figuring out the rail and bus routes.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I would not pick St. Moritz for 5 nites in the summer for a trip to CH---hotel deal or not. There are at least a dozen better destinations. However, if you are stuck then train there. St. Moritz is a ski resort and is dead in the summer and somewhat isolated. Try Luzern,Berner Oberland, Ticino etc.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ingo

I absolutely disagree with Bob the Navigator. It is not only a ski resort, not isolated and it is not dead in summer. Plenty to do there. Please have a look at the threads "Hotels in the Engadine" and "Support Group for Those who love Switzerland" (Part I and II).<BR><BR>St. Moritz itself is indeed somewhat overbuilt. Nobody will ever say it is a beautiful village. The hotel/restaurant quality is very good, though and the picturesque villages and beautiful landscape is only a few steps away.<BR><BR>You will not need a car. The transportation system works perfectly. The train ride from Zurich to St. Moritz is ca. 3:30 hours with a change in Chur. In the Engadine there are buses, railway (Bernina-Express!), cable cars, horse-drawn carriages etc.<BR><BR>Feel free to email me for more info.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Ursula

Ingo, fully agree with you. Very good advice! <BR><BR>Personally, I wouldn't stay in St. Moritz itself, but nothing wrong there, even in summer. It's almost as busy as in winter. Incidentally, too busy for my personal taste.<BR><BR>First, I'd to the local Tourist Office to get material about what there is to do. A lot, I tell you. <BR>You will have a great time, provided the weather will be nice.<BR>Hm, a car is useful, but not a definite must.<BR>Don't miss the Misani in Celerina and the bakery/patisserie Kochendoerfer in Pontresina.<BR><BR>BTW, I might spend a couple of days in Celerina at the end of the month, but will wait how the weather develops. Right now, pretty bad, even in the Engadine.<BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Andre

As usual, great advice from Ingo & Ursula.<BR><BR>A few extra tidbits:<BR><BR>1) Definitely take the train from Zurich to St. Moritz. If you want to see as much as possible in a short tome and enjoy driving mountain roads, you can rent a car in St. Moritz. Otherwise, public transportation is more than adequate and allows you to take hikes which don't start and end in the same place.<BR><BR>2) You can look up the train/bus schedules & fares for all of Switzerland at:<BR>www.rail.ch<BR><BR>3) Another useful transportation website for the Engadine is:<BR>www.rhb.ch<BR><BR>4) Since you will be using the public transportation system quite extensively, a Swiss Card/Pass would probably be a good deal. The links mentioned above will give you a an overview of what's available and/or you can do a search on this forum.<BR><BR>5) If you feel like splurging for a great meal, go to J&ouml;hri's Talvo.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR>Andre

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:27 PM
jw

Hi, wj. Since I recently returned from a five-night stay-put visit to Switzerland, I highly recommend it. You'll slow down and breathe deeply and absorb what I understand is a very special part of Switzerland. <BR><BR>I've been interested in the Engadine valley myself, so just for virtual fun I plugged in a couple of places to visit from St. Moritz (at sbb.ch)--I picked those farthest away by public transport, so you can be sure that there are many possibilities closer in. But this is what I found: From St. Moritz to Soglio it's 1:30, to Poschiavo 1:30, Guarda about an hour, and Mustair 2 hours w/3 changes. These are approx., I didn't copy the exact minutes.<BR><BR>I always use the Swiss Pass, so Ingo, Ursula, and Andre will have to confirm if trains and buses are the way to go rather than car rental.<BR><BR>I do hope you'll come back here with your impressions when you return home.<BR>J.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:55 AM
wj

I can't thank you all enough for the great advice. Just another quick question, I know the weather cannot be predicted, but one comment worried me.<BR><BR>What should we expect in July and August in St. Moritz(I was told it is a dry climate!) That being said is the weather better in July or August?<BR><BR>Any other restaurant recs also appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Jan

Hi Everyone,<BR>We just got back from a 4 day trip to the Engadine, planned with the help of this board. Unlike the others, we drove. I think it is personal preference on whether you use the train or drive. The freedom you expect, how much you carry etc. Having said that, the Swiss Transportation is great so I don't think it is a bad way to go.<BR><BR>We liked Pontresina and Poschiavo. The contrast in architecture was amazing. We loved Guarda. The restaurant on top of Muottas Muragl is excellent and the view is wonderful, overlooking the whole Upper Engadine. Check out the June 2002 issue of Bon Appetit for restaurant recommendations in the area.<BR><BR>This area is very active in the summer. You will enjoy it!<BR>Jan

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Ingo

The weather IS unpredictable. You cannot generalize. I had two weeks in July with only one day rain there, but this year it is raining cats and dogs in July. The best weather is usually late Sept/Oct.<BR><BR>Restaurant recs:<BR><BR>Landhotel Meierei, on the other side of Lake St. Moritz www.hotel-meierei.ch<BR><BR>Chasellas, St. Moritz-Suvretta (at the chair lift station) www.suvrettahouse.ch 15 points Gault Millau<BR><BR>Chesa Pirani, La Punt www.chesapirani.ch<BR><BR>Restaurant Dorta, Zuoz www.dorta.ch<BR><BR>You did not tell us where you stay. Maybe your hotel has a good restaurant, too. Many of the hotels in St. Moritz have (Monopol, Schweizerhof, Palace etc.)<BR><BR>A very special experience is a dinner at Muottas Muragl (2453 m), accessible by funicular from Punt Muragl. Watch the sunset! (funicular in operation till 11 pm)<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:50 AM
Sharon

Just got back from Austria and Switzerland. Stayed one night in St. Mortiz--it was nice but one night was enough. Look at MySwitzerland.com (at this site note that Postbuses run to remote areas of Switzerland and passengers are accepted). In Google type out "Murren, Switzerland" and go to the Virtual Tourist entry. Travel to Zermatt and go up to Gonergrat to see the Matterhorn-stunning (they even have mule trips that go up). Experience the Berner Oberland region--Murren or Lauterbrunnen--travel from Interlaken on the BOB train. For cities go to Lucerne. So many fascinating places in the summer other than St. Moritz.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Andre

Sharon,<BR><BR>I most respectfully disagree with you about St. Moritz.<BR><BR>While it's not a picture postcard village, the Engadine area it is located in provides more than enough to see and do for at least a week!<BR><BR>It makes no sense at all for wj to go to Zermatt or the Berner Oberland with just 5 nights to play with.<BR><BR>BTW, the "Postbuses" you refer to are indeed operated by the Swiss Postal Service, but their main purpose is to transport people. Some of them take mail along to the more remote locations they serve as well, but many do not. <BR><BR>Andre

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:02 AM
swiss

Maybe you've left, but here are some suggestions:<BR><BR>- while the Swiss trains are great, on time, frequent, etc., take a car, since you may appreciate some flexibility.<BR><BR>- I wouldn't concentrate too much on St. Moritz - have found it too touristic and big. But you may think otherwise, and if you have a deal already, so be it. If you can switch, stay in Pontresina at the Hotel La Collina; or, if you've want something 5 star, the Hotel Waldhaus in Sils Maria. <BR><BR>- What to do? Hike! The Val Fex; Furtschellas; Fourcla Surlej; along the Morteratsch glacier; Muottas Muragl; Alp Languard; etc. etc... Avoid the area up behind St. Moritz, they're finishing construction for the Ski World Championships. If you like watersports, all the lakes near St. Moritz/Silvaplana are waiting for you. There's mountain biking if you like that. Culturally there are lots of frescoes in churches, the Nietzsche house in Sils Maria, and other things, best to check at the tourist office when you get there. Do these things when it and if it rains (if your sporty, you can also go to an indoor pool - there's one in St. Moritz and Pontresina, and in the large hotels).<BR><BR>Hope this helps!