Zuoz Hotel ,Post Hotel?

Jan 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Zuoz Hotel ,Post Hotel?

I am planning on staying a few days in the St Moritz area. After looking into some past threads of the Zuoz area, I saw some comments about the Post Hotel in Zuoz, which seems to be about 15 minutes from St Moritz by the train.

Reading some comments, one person enjoyed the Post Hotel in Zuoz. Hopefully the Post hotel in Zuoz hotel would have fast internet connections. The Post Hotel in Zermatt is well known by the internatinal community for having an excellent internet service.

Anyone that knows this area have any comments or stories about this particular hotel or perhaps another hotel that you might have enjoyed in Zuoz. Fast aviabilty to the trains or Post bus is an important part of this hotel selection process as well.

I'm not a person who likes staying at a hotel way out of the center of activity. I enjoy being ablle to stroll around checking out the local eating places. A good meal and big tall mug of delicious beer is a very important part of my travels. After a rewarding hike, a cool "mature" place to hang out at night is important to me.

I am looking into the area now. I still have not ruled out St Moritz yet. I know some of you all are not particularly fond of St Moritz as a place to overnight.

Anyway, keeping the options options open.

Jan 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Hi sunstar,

There was a small Fodors GTG at the Posthotel Engiadina in Zuoz a few years ago, so those must have been the posts you read.

I thought it was a fantastic hotel. Not at all luxurious and pamper-y, but old-world with creaky floors and fabulous food. My room had a teeny tiny little window, but it looked out over the Inn River.

I took a walk in the countryside once, and you can be among the cows in about ten steps! We also biked the Inn Valley, which was spectacular -- rented bikes at St. Moritz station.

We chose the town of Zuoz, for one thing, because Zuoz has a town square. There are several restaurants, pubs, and small hotels there, and we did get out a bit for meals and drinks.

Zuoz is on the main rail line down the Engadin Valley, so it's very easy to get both south and north for your excursions.

Just to help you judge the ambiance of the town, let me tell you that there is not a single souvenir shop in town.

Have fun!

s
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Swandav, thank you for the input on that hotel.

I'm guessing that there is an information (i) office as well?

I have been looking at the map of the area. Looking forward to checking out some walking trips in that area as well.

Since I have rented bikes on past trips also, I will more than likely ride through the area also.

Congratulations to the Florida Gators!!!

Of couse Florida is part of the SEC so I'm not surprised.
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Hi sunstar,

Yes, there is a tourist info office just off the main square. Staffed well -- I think I remember that you speak good German, but they speak Engl there --

s
Jan 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

My German is really poor, but I have found that I can get by, just barely.

A good information or i office is most important.

I remember thinking when I went through this area in 1993 how diffent this area loked than some other areas of Switzerland. Not nearly as tourisity.

Anyway, looking forward to a few days there before moving over to Saas Fee-Saasentall valley area.

Swandav,Thanx again for the information!!!.

Jan 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Topping for later. I'd forgotten how nice Zuoz sounds. I'm feeling the wanderlust blues just about now, so I require some additional visits to the forum. Thanks all, J.
Jan 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

I'll top it again by asking Swandav or anyone who has spent any degree of time in this area with this question. I was planning on spending 5 full days in this area. Too much?? Then I was gonna pop over to the Sas Fee Sasentall valley area. I know the train ride to Saas Fee from ST Moritz is 8 hours. Wheeeew, 8 hours!!!

I know there is t a direct train on the 9:01 out of St Moritz to Saas Fee.

Any, always looking for some good information.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Hello, again. Swandav is away from the forum temporarily as she travels in Germany, but if you'll toodle around a bit with searches for Engadin or Zuoz, you might find a post from Ingo. Then, if you'll click on his name, that should direct you to a few of his quite informative and enthusiastic posts on that area. Five days doesn't sound like too much to me, and I'm not even a hiker. J.
Jan 17th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Hi all
(happy to see you jw!),

I have some wireless at this hotel, so I have a few minutes to answer your questions --

But I'm not at all sure that I can help. We stayed in Zuoz for a week and really didn't do half of what we had planned. Here's a sampling --

Sightseeing excursions to Guarda, Ardez, Scuol, Soglio, National Forest, on the Bernina Express to Poschiavo and back

Hiking in Soglio (the chestnut trail), Poschiavo Valley (can be combined with Bernina Express), Muottas Muragl (above Pontresina)

Biking the Inn Valley from St. Moritz to Scuol

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, but I don't have any notes with me.

Anyway, no five days isn't too much (I think!).

Have fun!

s
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Hey Swandav, thanx so much for the suggestions. That soglio and Chestnut trail looks good at this point. I'm guessing that I could catch a post bus over there also. You did mention the Benina express as a way to combine this excursion.

I mention the post bus because when I entered the information on the SBB site, it brought the bus timetable up.

Anyway, sorry for the all the questions. God, I hate not knowing an area. I'm used to giving advice and not getting it. LOL

Thanx to you an Jmw44 for the great tips and such.

This area is certainly new for me.

I have rented mountain bikes in Switzerland before. I might look into that option also.

Thanx again!!!
Jan 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM

There's also river rafting from Scuol down the Inn. There are morning and afternoon rafting tours. Cost: between SFr. 95 - 110 with guide and gear included.

Type "river rafting Scuol" into google for more info.

I did this many years ago and loved it.