Zugspitze - my trip

Nov 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Zugspitze - my trip

Zugspitze - or how did an acrophobic like me get talked into this...

One of the unexpected highlights of the trip was a trip to the highest mountain in the German alps.

At least it was unexpected by me. I didn't give it any thought when my travelling buddy said we simply had to include Zugspitze in our plans.

I am afraid of heights. I can not walk near the edge of a mountain path. I get dizzy looking down from a multi-storied building.
I can only walk across a bridge from the center of the lane...what was I thinking!!!

We rushed to get on the cable car (wait - I thought there was a train..._) and before I could work up a reason to desist we were on our way. Fortunately I was packed fairly close to the middle of the packed car.

From my perspective the view was lovely... and I made it to the top.

From there I discovered an interesting fact. If I kept my eye looking through the lens of my camera it wasn't too scary.

Wow - looking at those guys climbing up the top of the mountain...look at the glorious view...I have never been so close to Heaven!

Oh, God, look at those cable cars swinging from those little bitty wires...look how steeply it descends...how fast....ah oh...how will I ever get down!

As my friend pointed out, if I didn't want to climb down I was going down in that dangling little vehicle.

Mustering my limited courage I embarked...it didn't have much of a sense of descent...it was way too beautiful to do anything but look out and marvel at the miracle of engineering that let an acrophobe like me enjoy the marvel of Zugspitze!

my Zugspitze photos are here:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/338951/index.html

Nov 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

I didn't think my post went through on my thread re:my trip report - I guess I didn't wait long enough to find it - sorry for the double posting.
Nov 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Kathy, you are my hero! My friends went up on that wire and I could not bring myself to do it. I remember there are two cable car sites, one didn't look too high but the other one was beyond my comprehension, I think that is the one you went on.

I wish I could muster up the nerve to go on the very high one at some point in my life!!

Beautiful photos, congratulations.
Isn't that area sooooo beautiful and awesome!
Nov 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM

The gentleman is playing an alphorn.
Nov 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Good for you! I, too, am afraid of heights and did a similar ride to a peak in Switzerland. My strategy for descent was to stand in the front of the car so I could look out, not down. My friend and I hung on tightly to the railing and just kept chanting "thousands of people do this every day and they are not dead. thousands of people do this every day and they are not dead.". We survived the ride and I've since ridden a few other cable cars in Switzerland. I find it easier if I don't think too hard about what I'm doing, and just admire the beauty of the view.

Loved the photos, thanks!
Nov 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Hi kathcoll

So are you hooked now on those mountain treks? One of my favorites is the tram at Zermatt, Switzerland. Breathtaking!

I'll be heading to Zugspitze for the first time next summer, so now I'm looking forward to it more than ever. Your photos were great!
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

We watched the cable cars gliding up the mountainside from our balcony at the Edelweiss Lodge in Garmisch, this past September. We even drove out to the parking area to take the ride, but my husband decided he just couldn't do it! Thank you for showing us what it would've looked like, had we been brave enough!
Nov 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM

There still is the cogwheeltrain. You do not have to take the cabelcar, the train goes all the way up, too. It just takes longer than the cable car ride...
Nov 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM

xcv
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

What is the difference of the cable cars from Austria side to the Germany side? We sat by the Eibsee and watched the cars sway on the string until they got so small we coudn't keep track of them any more.

Next time I will have to muster up the courage, maybe blindfold myself!
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Good question, seaurchin.

If anyone has been on the trams or cable cars up to Schilthorn, Titlis, Zermatt, etc, is the cable car up to Zugspitze more heart-stopping?