Search

Zermatt ski pass options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zermatt ski pass options?

Hi,

I will be skiing for a week (actually 6 days) in Zermatt soon and I was curious about the various pros and cons of Zermatt's various passes.

Do I save by purchasing a 6 day pass with Cervina (Italy) or should I simply buy the Zermatt pass and pay a surcharge for any day that I choose to ski Cervina?

What about buying daily passes?

Is there any one best place to purchase passes and is the price the same throughout the resort?

Any answers would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:20 AM

topper
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:00 AM

We were there in March, skiing from the Cervinia side. I can't answer all your questions, but maybe can provide a little info.

We purchased the pass that combines Cervinia and the Kleine Matterhorn area of Zermatt. The higher altitude skiing on the Zermatt side in that sector is largely on the glacier and is pretty boring, with the lower skiing around Trockener Steg only a bit less so. If you plan to be primarily in that area, I'd definitely recommend adding Cervinia for the entire six days to provide you with some more varied and extensive runs. I understand the other sectors in Zermatt are more challenging, but they're difficult to reach from Cervinia and the Kleine Matterhorn sector, so we didn't visit (or pay for) them. If you plan to do most of your skiing there, then buying a day pass for Cervinia probably makes more sense.

The restaurants and views, particularly of the Matterhorn, are better from the Zermatt side - the cruising and the sun are better on the Cervinia side. Cervinia itself is pretty bleak, by the way, so don't bother actually visiting the town.

My experience with several different resorts in Europe is that the ski pass price is the same everywhere and you just can just buy one at the base of the major lift out of town on your first day. In some places (Grindelwald and Ischgl, for example) my hotel arranged for the pass and it was waiting for me when I checked in.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Steffen:
Take the "all area" Zermatt pass. You have many options in Zermatt. The trip over to Cervinia should be planned with the weather in mind! You need to have a clear day to truely enjoy this experience! It makes for a long but wonderful day! Get an early start and head over the top!
Ski some beautiful intermediate slopes, enjoy the Italian skiers, maybe not as good as the Zermatt skiers, but a hell of a lot more fun!!
Get a fabulous meal at one of the resturants that set up tables along the right side of Cervinia ski area (sorry that is the only way I remember it to be!)
After lunch ski until 3PM and start your way back over the top to somber Zermatt! Look for the Australians in Zermatt to have a good time!
JOHN
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Steffen, I concur with the earlier post. Get the pass that gets you to all areas each day. You might pay a little more but you will want that kind of freedom depending on weather and your own skiing. You will ski a few runs and decide that you might want to come back. Have the freedom to do it. We were in Zermatt last New Years and loved it. I especially liked going to the top and then skiing into Cervina. There is a great place to eat lunch right as you get to the top of the Cervinia lifts. Great food and wine for tired skiiers. You will want an open pass so you can come back to Cervinia when YOU choose to. We bought our passes at the ticket office right next to the entrance to the Sunnega Express train. This is a train that runs underground partway up the mountain and takes no time at all. It's great. We really enjoyed Zermatt and are planning a trip for next Christmas. If you need any help with hotels or other questions....holler
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 04:38 AM

A few comments/suggestions:

The prices are the same no matter where you buy the pass.

If you think you are going to ski everyday, then a 6 day pass will save you a bit of money. However, if you think you will want to rest for a day or do some sightseeing, then purchasing a ticket each day you ski may be cheaper, esp if you are going to Cervinia on at least one day. Remember that if on your day(s) off you want to go up one of the mountains (there is snowshoeing, hiking and sledding in many areas, esp Gornegrat) you have to purchase a train/cable car pass anyway (although cheaper than a ski pass). In that case, the 6 day pass may be better.

Another consideration is weather. If you are gong in January, it can be bitterly cold and windy and you may not want to ski one or more days, so if you have purchased a 6-day ticket you are wasting money. The last week in January this year it was so cold and windy that they closed several cable cars; not sure if you are entitled to a refund in that case but knowing the Swiss (I live here) I doubt it. February tends to be sunnier and milder, so a 6-day pass may be a better investment.

I don't think you will go to Cervinia more than 1 or 2 times in your 6 days. Although the skiing is very good and the trails are wider than in Zermatt, it is kind of a pain to get there and back. It will take about an hour to get up by a series of cable cars. Make sure you are at the first cable car about 20-30 minutes before the lifts open so you can be in one of the first cars; after that there are lines at each cable car that will add more to you travel time. Skiing back down from Cervinia involves a long and IMO boring run that is icy, windblown and full of other tired skiers at the end of the day. If you get over to Cervinia early, you can head back earlier and maybe miss the end of the day crowds, esp on the one narrow trail heading back into Zermatt at the bottom of the Klein Matterhorn area.

A great restaurant in Cervinia is Café Etoile. It is on the slopes just up from the Plan Maison lift. I could not find a phone number, but your hotel probably can. I would definitely recommend making a lunch reservation (your hotel can call), as it gets very crowded. They have a large outdoor seating area. On a sunny day there is nothing better than sitting out and having some of their great soup and pasta.

On the Gornegrat, good places for lunch are the cafeteria at the Riffelberg (cheap and cheerful and a large outdoor area) or the RiffelAlp (more expensive and gourmet and a large outdoor area with heaters if it is cold.) Both have fantastic views of the Matterhorn.

My favourite place for lunch is Chez Vrony (41- 967 2552), which is a trailside restaurant in the charming hamlet of Findeln, reached from the Sunnega ski area. Definitely make a reservation. Great fondue on their outdoor terrace, some of which have lounger seats to really relax and take in the view.

If you are staying in downtown Zermatt, the underground train to Sunegga is the fastest and best way to get to Sunegga. Gornegrat and Sunegga are my favourite two areas in Zermatt.

Unless there is a ton of snow, the bottom portions of the trails into downtown Zermatt will be bare, and you may end up walking and carrying your skis. This is especially true for the trails down into Zermatt from the Gornegrat and Sunegga areas.

A small but annoying thing is that many of the trail maps you will be given will fall apart as soon as you open them. Palm-size and much hardier maps with cardboard covers can be find at the Alpine Center in Zermatt (it is on the main street, a few blocks down from the train station on the right walking toward the Matterhorn.)

Shops in Zermatt generally close for 1-2 hours during lunchtime, so bear this in mind if you take time off to shop. Shopping is expensive.

There are moonlight/nightskiing trips offered with guides which are great. Take a look at http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/angebote/

If you haven?t; already found it, there is a live webcam of various parts of the mountain at http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/web-cam/
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips!
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Hey Steffen:

Cicerone nailed it! Great report!

I agree about Che Vroney ate there twice for the food, beer and VIEW!

One good day in Cervinia is worth it! Agree the earlier you get started the better and longer time you have to have fun in Italy!

Hey Cicerone! I forgot what a pain it was at the end of the day comming back over the top! I just remember struggling along the Zermatt icy slopes, full of Pasta and good cheer, wishing I was in the hotel sauna! But I would do it all over again!

JOHN