Zell am See or Stubaital?

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 06:27 PM
eal
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zell am See or Stubaital?

Hello Fodorites,
My wife and I plan to travel in Austria and Germany this September. We will spend a few days bike touring the Salzkammergut and then are looking for a picturesque alpine town to spend 3 or 4 days. Our interests are day hikes and taking a cable car to a glacier, and Zell am See and Stubaital caught my attention. We may take public transport or rent a car and our onward destination is the Black Forest. If we rent a car we will pick it up across the German border from Salzburg to avoid the cross-country drop off charges. Any thoughts on either of these two areas for a base? Recommendations for moderately priced accommodations with alpine views are appreciated

thanks in advance!
Eric
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed Zell-am-See, and the ride up the Grossglockner road, but if you were thinking about the Pasterze glacier, it was already a sad sight in 2006: https://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/...ee/i-gGB8ttz/A

I visited the Stubai glacier as a day trip from Innsbruck, and it was in much better shape, but that was 2004.