Search

Zarzuela dress?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Carolyn

Zarzuela dress?

In September, my husband and I want to attend a zarzuela performance in Madrid. I haven't been to one in years. What is appropriate dress these days for such an evening?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Maribel

Carolyn,<BR>My personal experience is that one no longer needs to "dress up" terribly to attend zarzuela or theater performances in Madrid. <BR> <BR>I've attended both in black dress pants/silk blouse and have felt comfortable, unless it's opening night with "butaca de patio" seats (orchestra).<BR>At the Teatro Real for the opera, in particular, you'll see a dressier crowd than at the Teatro de la Zarzuela or other theaters<BR>. <BR>If you attend a zarzuela at the Centro Cultural de la Villa at Plaza Colon (summer), you'll see most anything.<BR><BR>The older women of Madrid, particularly those of the Franco generation still dress up in the evening in their very most elegant best, but younger women dress more casually, often in pants, but still in a very stylish way.<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Carolyn

Thanks, Maribel, for the quick reply! Now I feel like a dummy because the main teatros for zarzuela will be inbetween seasons in Sept. They offered several during the Fiestas de Verano, but all that is over now. Back to the drawing board...

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Cova

Hi Carolyn,<BR>I know it is not zarzuela, but ... why don´t you go to "My fair lady" in the Teatro Calder&oacute;n? I know it´s not "typical spanish", but musicals are being one of the greatest hits in the spanish theatre since 4, 5 years. Paloma Sanbasilio, who is singing Eliza, is one brilliant voice, and Jose Sacristan is one of the best actors in the spanish theatre.<BR>You can buy tickets at the Corte Ingles website :<BR>http://entradas.elcorteingles.es<BR><BR>Kind regards,<BR>Cova

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:22 AM
Carolyn

Cova, Many thanks! I've been looking all over the web for just what you suggested. My husband speaks no Spanish and wouldn't hear of going to any regular drama performances. This may be just the thing. Eres tan amable. Muy agradecida quedo.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:24 AM
cova

Hi Carolyn,<BR>"My fair lady" will be in the spanish version, but the settings are gorgeous, and as the whole play is so well-known, I don´t think your husband should have a problem with it.<BR><BR>"The phantom of the opera" has opened this week, but I cannot recommend it to you because I don´t know anyone who has already been to it (but it will probably be good).<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Carolyn

Again, Cova, many thanks! I found the sites for both musicals and will see which(or both!)my husband will prefer. Do you know anyone who has seen the production at the Nuevo Apolo? It's "El musical de I. Nabukov"(or something like that). It seems to be lots of folk music and dancing. Thanks for any help.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
cova

Hi Carolyn,<BR>I checked the Nuevo Apolo program. It is called "Teatro Musical de Vladimir Nazarov", and it looks as one of those Eastern Europe spectacles that have been touring in the west after all the changes.<BR>It might be good, and of course it is cheaper, but I am not sure about it.<BR><BR>If you like tangos, until the 15th of September you can see "Estacion Tango" at the Infanta Isabel. I have been told that it is quite good.<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:28 PM
Carolyn

Cova, I'd LOVE to see the tango show, but we don't get to Madrid until the 17th. My husband is actually excited about "My Fair Lady", so I tried for tickets there. I had to register at the Corte Ingl&eacute;s website you gave me before I could buy the tickets. I filled out everything required(8-9 times!) and just as I am about to complete my purchase, a prompt comes up and tells me that the transaction couldn't be completed. I need to go back to the "registro" and enter my "NIF". I have no idea what that is! And the rest of the ticket purchase looks so easy.<BR>¡Socorro!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:15 AM
cova

Hi Carolyn,<BR>I have answered you in the other posts. I hope you manage to get the tickets. If not, and if you are not thinking of going on a Friday or a Saturday, I think that you could go to "El Corte Ingles" and simply, buy the tickets once in Madrid.<BR>Rgds, Cova

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Carolyn

Thanks, Cova, for being so patient and helpful. You are emblematic of what this board should be about.