What to wear to La Scala?

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear to La Scala?

My husband and I have tickets to see Turandot at La Scala for May 2011. He is wearing a suit, and I'm trying to find a dress, but don't know how formal it is. We have box seats, which I've read is more dressy, but it's a Wednesday night, which to me seems less formal. What do women wear to La Scala? Is a floor length gown too formal? If so I will stick to knee length. Thank you for any help.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:26 AM

We have been only once. It was during the week and, as I recall, we saw every form of dress but nothing very formal. A long gown is certainly not necessary. I wore dressy black pants, a black jersey top and a large flowered challis shawl. A knee length dress or a dressy pants outfit will be fine. We pack very light for trips and I didn't want to take something I could wear only once.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Congratulations on your tickets. You'll love La Scala and Turndot, I'm envious. We've been to La Scala a few times and the dress is all across the board - like many opera-sites in Europe. We wore the suit and dress our first time; but after that I was in sportcoat and my wife a nice black dress. Most Italians ARE dressed in suits and longer dresses.

We used to go to opera in ATL in tuxedo and matching dress/gown. So our first time in Europe (London) we dressed up and thus were surprised at the "relaxed" dress. Now we're used to it. We enjoy dressing up but you won't be noticed if you don't. I'd avoid the gown and go with the knee length (It seems a lot of work to haul a gown to Europe for one night?)Regardless, you'll enjoy La Scala!