Zakopane Poland lodging? (budget)

Apr 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Zakopane Poland lodging? (budget)

Six of us will be visiting Zakopane in southern Poland for four nights in late September / early October.

I am looking for something clean and quiet. We will be using public transportation. I don't mind being just outside of town, as long as there is easy transportation access. Several rooms in a B&B, a decent sized apartment or something like that is what we want. I don't want to be in hotel or a party atmosphere hostel.

So far I am having very little success finding anything in the budget (OK, cheap) range. I have heard there are a lot of private accomodations available in Zaokpane. I'm wondering, since late September is off season, if we could just go there without reservations and when we arrive at the bus station check out a few places. I have done that in the past, but it was only for two people.

If you have any suggestions or know of a great place to stay I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers, the turnip
Apr 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

DOH! I checked my message twice and somehow I still have it tagged as "Norway"? I must have the brains of a turnip.

Wait a minute...
Apr 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I really enjoyed staying here, on the main street - http://hotelsabala.com/ - but it's a hotel. Don't remember the price, but I'm a budget traveler.
Apr 19th, 2011, 07:32 AM

We stayed at Villa Vita last year about the time you are talking about. We found it on www.booking.com which I recommend highly. I would not wait until you get there. It was quite busy there last year in the fall. Even now some of the places listed on booking.com have only a few rooms left. You can set it to give you prices from low to high which will help you search. (We liked Villa Vita very much. It was at one end of the main street just around the corner. Was not noisy or partyish when we were there.)
Apr 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM

I'll be staying at Hotel Sabala in Zakopane. Booked through zakopane-life.com. The rate is 920PLN/for 2 nights for a double. I found the hotels in Zakopane to be a bit expensive for my budget. The hotel in Krakow is much less.

If you're there the same time as we are maybe we can have a GTG!

BTW - I've asked the editors to change the tag to Poland.

Did you used to be teutonic turnip?
Apr 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

I am indeed the teutonic turnip. My excessively long Czech Republic trip report still gets me emails and comments occasionaly. Sadly, I have been too lazy to finish my Turkey trip report.

I checked into Hotel Sabala. It looks gorgeous. They quoted me $170 a night for each room, per night. So $510 for the six of us per night. That is beyond this poor turnip's budget.

We have a three bedroom apartment in Krakow, the Kazimierz district, with a living room and full kitchen, already rented for the same price - but for all four nights!

Kristin - I will check out booking.com

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Cheers, the turnip
Apr 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM

We also stayed at Hotel Sabala in 2005. Our room was good, and the hotel was generally very comfortable with friendly staff.

It is right on the main pedestrian street, so there was always lots going on. I also seem to remember a night club quite close by, which could be noisy, but I would have no hesitation in staying there again.
Apr 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Hotel Sabala is a bit more than I wanted to pay but the rates throughout Zakopane are high. Keep in mind that all the tour buses go to Zakopane making it an all year round resort area - hiking, skiing, and tours keep it thriving and the prices high. I would not arrive w/o reservations.

For Krakow information take a look at my trip report from last year. I loved Krakow so much that I'm going back to Poland this year to see more of the country.
Apr 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne - thanks tons for getting the tag changed from "Norway" to Poland.

You're the best!

(Am I the only who says "Aaaaaaaaadrinne" in the Rocky Balboa voice everytime I read a post from Adrienne?)
Apr 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Apr 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Dear Turnip - no one has said that to me in ages! And I'm not missing it!

Have you found a place in Zakopane? I hope the town is worth the trip as I had little desire to go there but the friend I'm traveling with really wants to see it.
Apr 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM

I enjoyed Zakopane more than I expected. I liked watching the stalls set up on the main street (I had a great view from my hotel room), and the mountains were stellar. Of course, crossing the border to Slovakia gets you cheaper prices and fewer tourists. Maybe my photos will help a bit: http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/E...oland-Zakopane
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM

thursday - beautiful photos, as usual! We're taking a half day tour that includes some wooden churches. It looks like a charming town.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thursday, nice work. Any idea how long it takes to get from Zakopane to Stary Smokovev or a similar spot?

Adrienne, sorry for bringing up painful memories. I can't find anything yet for a place in Zakopane. I will let you know if I do however.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM

According to mappy it's an hour by car to Stary Smokovev. My bus schedule only covers to and from Krakow so Stary Smokovev is not listed.

No painful memories, I assure you! LOL

PS I thought I was paying much less for the hotel in Zakopane but with the poor dollar the room is now $17 more than when we booked. I'm hoping the dollar gathers some strength before the trip.
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM

You should look at this TA post. It's a couple of years old but might help you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ad_Presov.html
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Oh my gosh - I found a bus schedule and got it to work w/o being able to read Polish. Let's see if I can re-create it. The end result is 1 hour 37 minutes, depending on where in Zakopane you get on the bus. There are 4 stops in Zakopane and it takes 17 minutes to go through town.

Use this site and choose the last schedule.

http://coach-tickets.eu/2,43762,4651...-smokovec.html

From the next popup window choose:
Krajowy bilet autokarowy Voyager - cena

Choose the date in the first section and choose origin and destination in the second section.

Then click on "Dalej."

When you get the next screen click on the hyperlink at the end of one of the lines and the schedule will pop up.

Caveat - don't kill me if this is not correct but it sure look good to me! I'm pretty proud of myself!
Apr 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Glad you like the photos! There are Slovakian ones in the same gallery. You need to be careful with the bus. The day I did it the bus from Zakopane only went to the border and I had a fairly long wait for the Slovakian bus onto Stary Smokovec. My report for that trip is here: http://wilhelmswords.com/eur2006/index.html
Apr 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Zero luck on Zakopane.

I may try Szczawnica instead. We want to do the rafting tour and I would like to see the castle in the area as well. Maybe instead of a daytip from Zakopane to Szczawnica we should stay in Szczawnica and do a day trip to Zakopane to see the Emerald Lake, etc.
Apr 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM

We travelled by bus from Zakopane to Stary Smokovec in 2005. At the time, there were through buses on only one or two days a week, which did not suit our schedule.

The result was that we got a very crowded minibus from Zakopane to the Border. We were the only ones from the bus to cross the border, which we did on foot, dragging our cases. The border guards were friendly, and there was a place to change money, but it was rather surreal walking across the bridge over the small stream which actually delineates Poland from Slovakia. We felt like refugees.

We had a coffee in a cafe on the Slovakia side, but did not wait for the connecting bus to Stary Smokovec. Some American travellers had ordered a taxi, so we went with them in a VW minibus.

We stayed at the Hotel Panda in the delightfully named Horny Smokovec (I think Horny actually means Lower in Slovakian). There is only one review of the Hotel Panda on Tripadvisor, but it gives an accurate idea of the hotel as it was in 2005. There was a very friendly and helpful receptionist who spoke excellent English, having just returned from 2-3 years working in Ireland.

Our short time in Slovakia was an interesting experience. It was a strange mix of the 1960s communist era and the completely up-to-date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO