Zürich to....? Help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to Italy and Switzerland and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. We’re leaning towards exploring Italy BUT are very open to other suggestions. Our slate is pretty blank aside from the flights.

We will be flying in and out of Zürich in late August - we will be there a total of 9 days (the 9th day we fly out early in the morning so only 8 days to explore). Lake Como and Venice are two places we think we’d like to stay if possible. We’d also like one more “home base” even if it’s just for one night....I’m thinking somewhere in or near Switzerland because I’d love to spend a day or two exploring there as well - I just don’t know what would be both somewhat convenient and well worthwhile...or if a third home base is even doable considering the duration of our trip.

We’re thinking about staying in Moltrasio, Lombardy on Lake Como but are open to other suggestions since we’ve never been. Thoughts?

My boyfriend really wants to rent a car while we’re there so we can take scenic routes and have transportation available if and when we’ll need it...but we’re unsure of the best route and I would love some input on where we should stop to take in a view and/or grab a bite to eat.

We’re in our late 20s/early 30s and this is my very first time exploring Europe. I’m more than open to any suggestions (routes, stops, tips, hotels, dining, easy hiking, etcetera) and I couldn’t be more excited but I also want to get the most out of these 8 days and am in need of some guidance.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by samanthaannr; May 2nd, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:03 AM

May be you have a look at https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/ and chose the places you want to see.
If you want to proceed directly from Zurich airport to Moltrasio, take any train to Chiasso (Zurich airport dp 5.38, 6.48, 7.15, 7.48, 8.48, 9.15, 9.46, 10.46, 11.48, 12.46, 13.46, 14.46, 15.15, 16.56, 17.15, 17.48, 19.15, 19.46, 20.46, 21.46; 3 1/4 hrs journey) and go on by taxi to Moltrasio.
You could also travel over as many alpine passes as you like (by train over the Bernina Pass or by Postbus over
Flüela Pass - Ofen Pass - Stelvio Pass,
Julier Pass - Maloja Pass,
Grimsel Pass - Nufenen Pass,
Simplon Pass)
or do some legs by boat, like
Lucerne - Fluelen,
Locarno - Arona,
Lugano - Porlezza and Menaggio - Moltrasio,
Colico - Moltrasio.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moltrasio would be a bit removed from most of the tourist crowds. But, depending on what you want to see/do on the lake, it may be under-served by ferry and/or bus for a short visit. You might want to peruse the timetables to see how long it would take to get around.

Navigazione Laghi | Lago Maggiore | Lago di Garda | Lago di Como
[Click on Timetables and Lines. Check back in a couple of weeks to view summer schedules.]

https://lakecomotravel.com/bus-servi...enaggio-colico

If this was my trip and with so few days, I'd stay in Switzerland. There are beautiful lakes and scenery, cable cars up mountains, lots of hiking, etc., all within half the time it would take to get to Moltrasio. Other than currency/cost, Switzerland is particularly tourist-friendly with lots to see/do and very organized transportation systems.

In case you were wondering, Zurich Airport to Venice would take 7 hours by train. IMO, Venice would only work in your short trip if you could make a good connection in Zurich and fly to/from Venice. Traveling between Venice and Moltrasio would take the better part of a day.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:31 AM

I don't agree with Jean:
all Lake Como boats stop at Moltrasio,
all Menaggio - Colico bound buses stop at Moltrasio,
a bus ride from Moltrasio to Como takes just 15 minutes,
a train ride from Como to Venice takes 3 1/2 hrs, departures every hr until 19.13.

Lugano would be the better transport hub, however: 2 1/2 hrs by train from Zurich airport and 4 hrs by train from Venice.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't speak to the summer ferry timetables, but currently not all of the 'rapido' boats stop at Moltrasio. Some of the northbound boats that stop at Moltrasio do not make all of the interim stops before Lenno, so much depends on the sightseeing plans. Currently, it would take 90 minutes to get from Moltrasio to Varenna. There is one morning 'rapido' boat from Moltrasio to Bellagio that takes 40 minutes. Obviously, the 'rapido' boats don't stop everywhere, so again much depends on the sightseeing plans.

Not all train rides from Venice to Como take 3.5 hours. You could depart Venice at 8:20 a.m. and, assuming the trains are on time (one connection), the bus would arrive Moltrasio at 12:40 p.m. The next train option with only one connection and shortest ride (4 hours) departs Venice at 10:50 a.m. and doesn't match the bus timetable quite as well. You would arrive Como at 2:46 p.m. and arrive Moltrasio at 3:40 p.m. There are other train options between these two departures, but they take 4+ to 5+ hours and involve multiple connections.

Of course, you could make it a bit simpler at the Como end and take a taxi to Moltrasio. FWIW, Rome2rio.com estimates the one-way taxi fare at $20.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:08 AM

too bad you're flying into and out of Zurich - in that case beeline thru Switzerland - stopping at maybe the Interlaken area for a day or two in the awesome high Alps and then to Venice - Rome - ditch car and fly back to Zurich from Rome. Get an International Driving Permit - required for Italy from your AAA for about $20.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I would skip the car rental and train from place to place. You can arrive in Zurich and take the train down to Lugano, stay in the lakes region of Switzerland for a few days, train down into Italy to Milan and then over to Lake Como. There are lots of cute towns and the lakes are beautiful. You can also stay in Milan and in Zurich. 8 days goes fast and it takes time to go from place to place. You can train down into Florence as well. Florence was one of my favorite cities and I liked it much better than Milan.
Old May 4th, 2019, 05:02 AM

" train down into Italy to Milan and then over to Lake Como"

Should probably be Lake GARDA, I suppose.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Why?
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:30 AM

" train down into Italy to Milan and then over to Lake Como"

The Zurich - Milan train stops at Como about 40 minutes before arriving in Milan.
As the final destination of the OP is Venice, I think it should be "over to Lake Garda and Venice".
The alternative would be: "go by train down to Milan and backtrack immediately to Como in order to arrive there some 2 hrs after the Como stop of the Zurich - Milan train"
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information - everyone has been so helpful. We went with your advice and aren’t going to Venice this time around. Instead this will be our itinerary...

arrive in Zurich in the morning —> Lake Como for 3 nights (Montrasio) —> Interlaken for 2 or 3 —> Lucerne for 2 or 3 nights —> Zurich early in the morning to catch our flight back.

We booked our car rental and decided driving is more ideal for us. Our Lake Como stay is already booked and we are now planning the Switzerland half. Your recommendations have been awesome. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Not sure how long we should stay in Interlaken and Lucerne. Curious about which village would be best also. Is there anything we absolutely cannot miss during our stay and/or stop while driving? Tips? Thank you all
Old May 7th, 2019, 07:28 AM

But you will not drive from Zurich up to the southern end of Switzerland (Moltrasio) after a overnight flight?

The driving time along the rather boring motorway will be about 3 hrs if there is no traffic, but much longer if you have to cross (resp. to wait before) the Gubrist Tunnel (Zurich) in a rush hour or if there are much more than the daily average of 3000 trucks on the Gotthard motorway.

End August, there shouldn't be waiting times at the entry of the Gotthard road tunnel (unless you will travel on a Saturday), but try to not to fall asleep in this monotonous 11 miles long tube with traffic in both directions.

Last edited by neckervd; May 7th, 2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you but we won’t fall asleep. Luckily we won’t be hitting rush hour either. We may be a little jet lagged but we’ll be able to manage. We are use to driving long distances so three hours isn’t much.

After looking at the Jungfrau region this morning I hadn’t realized how expensive it can get. Any tips on ways to save?

Also my apologies for the spelling errors in last nights post, I tried to edit them but it was too late! Hopefully you understand what I was trying to explain.
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:07 AM

" After looking at the Jungfrau region this morning I hadn’t realized how expensive it can get. Any tips on ways to save?"

Accommodation, food or trains?
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:08 AM

Staying down in Interlaken can be cheaper with cheaper hotels but then you have to pay to go into Alps - in a Wengen you are already there. Economize by eating from supermarkets- many have delis and buy the Half-Fare Card good for all of Switzerland - half off everything that moves.
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
After looking at the Jungfrau region this morning I hadn’t realized how expensive it can get. Any tips on ways to save?

Consider staying in a hostel and self catering as much as possible. Sometimes staying in a Garni Hotel will be less expensive than a hotel with a restaurant. Swiss hotels are rated by a star system - the fewer the stars the fewer the amenities, and generally the lower the cost. Two and three start hotels in Switzerland are a good way to go if on a budget.

You might also look into B&B's - https://bnb.ch/en

And Air BNB, although with such a short stay this may not work as well.

From a transport standpoint, renting a vehicle means car rental cost, possible insurance, parking fees and the cost of train/cable car transport to areas above Interlaken or Grindelwald that are car free.

Have you looked into parking and petrol costs?

I doubt a pass will be of much help unless you plan to go to the Jungfrau, but if it is, you need to consider the cost of the pass on top of car rental, parking fees, and petrol. You'll find it gets pretty expensive very quickly.

You really need to crunch the numbers to see what makes sense to you, but IMO renting a car throws a spanner in the works and potentially increases your transport costs, and definitely adds a layer of stress that can easily be avoided by using public transport.

Last edited by Melnq8; May 7th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Grindelwald has a neat all-ages Nature Friend's House with communal kitchen - attracts many hiking folks in summer but kind of in between hostel and hotel with private rooms: https://translate.google.com/transla...n/&prev=search
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. My boyfriend reminded me that our flights were very inexpensive so we might as well splurge on other areas of this trip and have the best experience/make it easy.

In all honesty, is there any way to make exploring these areas in Switzerland by car enjoyable? I understand we may need to park it for a bit if need be. I might try convincing my boyfriend to ditch the rental after Lake Como to make it easier...it sounds like that’s what’s best? He thinks we’ll have more freedom regarding our schedule with a car in tow.

All of you have been so much help and made these decisions easier. Again we’re aiming for 3 nights in Moltrasio —> 2 or 3 nights in Interlaken or area surrounding —> 2 or 3 nights in Lucerne. Not sure if it’s worth staying in Lucerne for more than 2 nights?

Hoping to see the Jungfrau region and/or any cannot miss views and things to do. My boyfriend wants to experience some kind of “extreme sport” and I will probably accompany him. Any recommendations regarding paragliding, etcetera? Basically anything outdoors, we’re all for - except long hikes, only because we want to see as much as we can in 5 whole days.

So looking forward to my first trip in Europe! Thank you
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
" After looking at the Jungfrau region this morning I hadn’t realized how expensive it can get. Any tips on ways to save?"

Accommodation, food or trains?
Both please!
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:18 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've been visiting Switzerland pretty regularly for years, and have not once rented a car. There is just no need. The Swiss transport system is fantastic. You can get just about anywhere by train, bus, cable car, funicular and gondola.

Car = freedom doesn't really apply in Switzerland IMO.

Keep in mind that two nights is only one full day. Three nights is only two full days. You really don't have a lot of time dedicated to Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -