Yummy limoncello

Search

Yummy limoncello

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yummy limoncello

Recently, I was confronted with several brands of limoncello at the local Bev Mo: Villa Massa, Gioia Luisa, Caravella, and Marchesa. Remembering what others had posted re: limoncello--light green _not_ bright yellow, I bought both the Villa Massa and Gioia Luisa which did not have the yellow dye that the others contained.

Since I was making limoncello cheesecake, I cracked open the cheaper bottle ($20+) and checked it out. It was yummier and stronger than the tiny bottle of duty-free limoncello I picked up at the airport in Rome, and tastes great with lots of ice and orange juice (I did not care for it "straight"--tastes a bit like lemony Robitussin).

As soon as I crack open the other bottle and taste it, I'll share my impressions of the Villa Massa and whether it's worth $30+...

BTW, I found a great recipe for making very easy, buttery and yummy limoncello squares online.

Lil
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:07 PM

I read that Villa Massa Limoncello is greenish because of the green lemon skins. I have no idea what brand we had but it was a neon yellow..it did taste quite nice though
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

I believe the greenish color is due to the Sorrento lemons which were picked when it's slightly green. Not sure where I read it--here maybe?

Lil
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM

Lil - where did you find the recipe? Thanks!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:52 AM
ira

Hi lilley,

>Remembering what others had posted re: limoncello--light green _not_ bright yellow, I bought both the Villa Massa and Gioia Luisa which did not have the yellow dye that the others contained.<

Good for you. The ones that use yellow dye often use artificial flavors as well.

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Marchesa was reveiwed several years back in our Sacramento newspaper. I believe it is made in California. I tried it out and thought it was awful. Plus it is TOO yellow.

I now have been using Valle di Mulino. Very nice. Have also like Gioia Luisa.

Enjoy!!

MY
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Not sure what the policy is re: posting recipes, so here's a link to it:

http://www.aaa-recipes.com/lemon/lemon229.html

I doubled it and made it in a cookie sheet, still using the 20 min. baking time. The glaze is good and light, but I recently ran across a sour cream limoncello glaze for cake that might emphasize the limoncello a bit more...(it tasted great on the cheesecake that I made.) I was thinking of trying it out the next time I make it.

Lil
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:49 PM

OK, I just want to ask an off-the-wall question here since the subject is limoncello. Our "Italian" daughter gave us a bottle she shlupped back from Italy (which undoubtedly accounts for all the overweight charges she (we)had to pay!!!), but I think of limoncello as a warm weather summer kind of drink so reluctant to open it now considering we're in Seattle and that hardly describes the weather here...

What do you think?
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:15 PM

artlover, those are exactly my thoughts! We brought back a bottle from Sorrento in September because we just loved to drink it there on those warm summer nights. Unfortunately Limoncello doesn't seem to match with the grey and cold weather in Belgium. We keep the bottle in storage until next summer ... only 7 more months to go ...
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM

artlover, I am in the Seattle area visiting some of my family and friends for New Year's and our drink of choice is a Negroni -- not exactly a winter drink but it makes me feel like I am in Italy.

I spent a few days this week in blustery Victoria as well, where I took my hostess (and Italy traveling companion) the last of my homemade limoncello (January 2005 vintage and fabulous if I do say so myself). For us, sometimes a little glass of something "summery" in the middle of a cold rainy evening is the best way to recall that Italian sunshine.

Happy New Year, whatever you all are drinking (or not drinking).
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Here in No. Cal, we've been getting perpetual rain for the past 2-3 weeks. Last night was particularly blustery and I heard the rain striking the window sharply in the driving wind.

I had no trouble drinking 2 glasses of orange juice with lots of ice cubes and limoncello. But then I've been known to go out and fetch Ben and Jerry's ice cream in -30 F, and after a brisk tramp back through the snow, consume most of the pint with relish...

Lil
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 08:45 PM

Limoncello is good no matter what the weather (ask any Italian) as long as it is limoncello from the Amalfi Coast. Maybe because limoncello is kept in the freezer and is consequently served cold it does not appeal to some during the cold wintery months..which we are sure having here in the Sacramento Valley.

All the Italians I know drink limoncello no matter what the weather is. In fact I have had several phone calls from Italy today and all of my friends were enjoying limoncello along with other wines. CinCin!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Somehow this thread "escaped" and I just got it back now. Looks like I might have to reconsider opening that bottle now! Thanks all--HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Lilley, do you <i>really</i> like Ben and Jerry's with relish? Sorry, just couldn't help myself....
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM

We always keep our limoncello in the freezer, although cream limoncello should be in the fridge. And it makes a great martini;

1 part vodka
3 parts limoncello
1 small scoop of lemon sorbet
coat the rim with sugar
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:56 AM

annabelle, how do you make your own limoncello? A friend of mine has loaded lemon trees. Thanks (of if it's a secret, that's ok, too), J.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM

sorry for the typo.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM

We must be bad. We are making our third batch of lemoncello in five months. We are still trying to find &quot;our best&quot; recipe, and love the process. Late this afternoon our neighbors are coming over and we will pull the peels from the sauce and add the sweet! Last night, we added Lemoncello to margaritas - delightful! Another favorite is straight in the glass, with a quarter lemon slice - yummy!

Brandi R. in a thread about lemoncello-making got us started with a recipe she likes. Since then, I searched the internet and came up with many recipes. Perhaps tonight, we will have our favorite recipe.

BTW our last result was very yellow.

We live a few hours from Seattle, across the mountains, and it lifts our spirits from the grey doldrums to have a little lemoncello and plan our June trip to Italy.