Looking for recommendations for Scandinavia with baby in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for feedback and recommendations on a 3 week holiday in Scandinavia. We will be traveling in early May with our 7 month old baby from Australia. After reading previous baby related threads, we are mindful of only visiting a few major cities. We are thinking of:

- Fly from Sydney to Copenhagen. Spend a week having a taste test of the main city.
-Take a train to Stockholm and spend a week there.
- We will likely stop off in Asia/ the middle east on the way to and fro Europe to break up the long flight.

Are these Scandinavian cities stroller friendly? Has anyone traveled through these cities with a baby recently and have any tips for us? Are there any baby friendly day trips you can recommend? Is there much sun light in Scandinavia during May or is still cold and rainy? Would it be worthwhile to visit Norway or Finland or is this too much to do with a baby?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:22 AM

By May days are getting long, but coming from Australia you may find temps cooler than you expect. esp at night.

Scandinavia has many child friendly activities but for a 7 month old not sure how many would be of any interest.

In Stockholm there is Skansen, a fascinating recreation of various aspects of traditional Scandinavian life - with docents showing how things were done - but that won;t be of interest to an infant. But there is also a zoo attached with the baby might enjoy - not sure if there is a special section for petting small animals.

Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen is gorgeous - with beautiful floral displays, lots of rides and midway attractions, bands and fireworks at midnight closing too late for baby.

I'm sure if you check a couple of guidebooks with sections on traveling with children to these places you will find a listing of some local parks that might be useful.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 12:04 PM

First a quick answer for the Finland bit, you could easily take a ferry (Tallink Silja or Viking Line) from Stockholm to either Helsinki or Turku. Inexpensive and very baby-friendly way to travel. Helsinki has a lot of direct connections to Asia, maybe an open-jaw ticket flying to Copenhagen and onwards from Helsinki would work for you?

Copenhagen´s zoo has a petting area. Tivoli is beautiful and worth the visit for adults, but the rides will not be suitable for the baby. There is a small playground for the baby and the park is ok for stroller.

In Stockholm in Djurgården, next to Skansen there is also Junibacken with Moomin exhibition that the little one would probably like - timewise both can be visited on the same day. Wasa ship museum is also near

Hint: take a stroller that is durable and works well in different surfaces (cobblestones, gravel etc.)

I hope this answer makes even some sense as I´m writing with a 5 month old baby in my lap
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 12:06 PM

My family and I will be in Flen, Sweden in Sept. with our new grandchild (he's not yet born..due end of May)to meet his Swedish family. I'm sure they will have many suggestions for things to do, but it's good to see suggestions from others as well. I'll ask my Swedish daughter in law if she has anything to add to this thread.