Your favorite meal in Rome.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to get an active thread going with Rome recommendations. Of course, for myself, I'd like to hear about places that are in the center and that aren't in the ultra luxury range, but I'm sure others would like those recs, too.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM

This wasn't the best meal, but it was the most fun I had at dinner while in Rome: Ristorante del Pallaro

I think there were 5 course with no menu and a very nice staff.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:51 PM

Antica Trattoria La Scaletta degli Artisti (Via di Santa Maria Dell Anima 56 - near the Piazza Navona - phone: 39-06-6880-1872 ): Deep fried zucchini blossoms drizzled with a light basalmic reduction, a plate of the freshest bruschetta on freshly toasted garlic bread, a rare bistecca fiorentina that melted in my mouth accompanied by fresh grilled red radicchio and a bottle of Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino that tasted like liquid cherries and chocolate. Ended the meal with a lovely sgroppino - with the strolling musicians and the lovely Roman night, it was a meal to remember.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM

In Rome, have a meal at Le Tamerici, which is near the Trevi Fountain. Vicolo Scavolino 79, uphill from the Trevi, take via del Lavatore, and first left. Think 120 Euro for two, and we ate there twice in three days. They have a web site, www.letamerici.com. Best food we have eaten in all Italy, ever, and was one of the reasons we went to Rome this time. We were served by one Kate, who hails from the Hunter Valley in Aus, a girl of good humour. (“Would you recommend the pork or the duck?” “Don’t ask me, I’m a vegetarian.”)
In Rome, the bar called “The Glass”, Via Carlo Battisti, left side as you go downhill. It looks very cool and expensive – but it’s not.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my last trip (last year, unfortunately), I loved Checchino dal 1887 for traditional Roman food in a nice environment. And Antico Arco for more modern takes on traditional fare and a great wine list. I would say both are mid-range but neither is inexpensive. Antico Arco is a bit pricier but one evening we opted for the tasting menu.

http://www.anticoarco.it/

http://www.checchino-dal-1887.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Leely2, if you had to choose between the two, which would you pick, in terms of food?

Tiggy, Peter, these are new to me. This is just what I was hoping for.

I hope the thread keeps growing.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM

Trattoria Monti, Via San Vito. Near Maria Maggiore.

Matricianella. www.matricianella.it

Ciampini, Via Trinita Dei Monti.

The restaurant that is directly across from the Hassler. Can't think of the name.

Thin
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:52 PM

I like Armando al Pantheon for dinner, Margutta for lunch and Lo Zozzone for walk around. But none were as good as the meals my Roman friends cooked!
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:27 AM

(And I put another piazza del Popolo recommendation on your other thread, for a place I haven't eaten at but convenient to your apt)
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM

Vecchio Roma is my favorite
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM

I love reading about everyone's favorite meals/restaurants and have a favor to ask of anyone posting....could you please put what you paid/average cost of a meal? That way those of us on a budget know if we can afford it. Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM

my absolute favorite is La Foccaccia in front of Bramante's Cloister on via della pace. Their pizza is sublime and it doesn't make your stomach feel bloated. A pizza and bear dinner there is around 35-45 euro.
Another great place for aperitivi is Enoteca Spiriti next to the Pantheon (a bit more expensive but great wines and home made snacks).
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM

Margutta for lunch is 15e. Lo Zozzone is a few euros for a tranche of pizza bianca with toppings. Armando al Pantheon for dinner is probably 40pp with wine, more with dessert.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From my recent trip report, this restaurant in Trastevere was our favorite:

"There is an open kitchen area at <B>Le Mani In Pasta</B>, so Tracy could see all the fresh dishes being taken out to the now very crowded restaurant. This was the last night it would be open for a while, as the restaurant would close down until after the first of the year.

We were given a complimentary glass of Prosecco (fortuitous since we would have bought one anyway). I started with a tagliatelle with cheese and pepper, which garnered the coveted “wow.” My main course of beef with orange and potatoes got a “mini-wow.”

Tracy also had a “wow” dish. After starting with brescola with figs, her veal saltimbocca all Romana with ham was wonderful. We also had a side of broccoli that was terrific, although we had never really seen broccoli that looked like this. It was lime green with little pointed crowns, not the dark green flat broccoli we are used to. In any event, with the olio drizzled on top, I bet even that noted hater of broccoli, Bush the Senior, would have liked this vegetable.

Complementing our dinner was a 25€ bottle of La Braccesca Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Quite good!

I was now ready for another new dessert. Zabaione and Panna Cotta would have to wait for a future fling, because tonight my dolci consisted of a semifreddo Gorgonzola with caramelized lace cookies. I’m a sucker for anything in lace, and I loved this dessert.

It was at this point I realized I am sort of like Tiger Woods when it comes to desserts, I just can’t turn any of them down. Elin (I mean Tracy) had a delicious semifreddo Amaretto with chocolate. The meal came to 100€ even. We finally had the meal we were hoping for in Rome."

For lunch, we liked Enoteca Cul De Sac near the Campo di Fiore.

For dessert, stop in Hostaria Costanza and have an out of this world zabaione.

If you stop by Ditirambo or Da Fabrizio ask them whether they ever found the lamb that was supposed to be on my chops.

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM

Oh my gosh, I am really going out on a limb saying this, but here goes...when I visited Rome 10 years ago, a much younger and apparently ravenous me was very pleased with Pastarito Pizzarito. This is a chain restaurant with many different (pre-made?) pizzas, pastas and sauces. But, it was pretty good! I can't say this was a best meal in a fine dining sort of way, and I'm not sure who I would ever recommend it to, but it brings back very good memories and it fit the bill.

That being said, I hope to have nicer meals this summer, and I will come back and post to this thread.

Candice
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM

Tom, you should have eaten at Trattoria Monti on the Via San Vito. I had the rack of lamb there and it was DELICIOUS.

Keith and I walked past Cul de Sac, but we didn't want to sit outside on the street and breathe in gas fumes. If I dine outside, I like to sit on a square or in a pedestrian-only zone.

Thin
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM

I agree with Thin. When I'm in Rome, I always make a point to dine at Trattoria Monti, more than once if it fits with my plans.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Tom, you should have eaten at Trattoria Monti on the Via San Vito. I had the rack of lamb there and it was DELICIOUS"
Thin, that gives me something to look forward to next time.
"Keith and I walked past Cul de Sac, but we didn't want to sit outside on the street and breathe in gas fumes."
We ate inside and only smelled the nice aroma of our vino and food.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Trattoria Monti is on my short list. I would love to try the onion tart that I've heard about.

Tom, we missed Le Mani In Pasta when we stayed in Trastevere last trip. Maybe we will make it there this time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tuscan, I really enjoyed Antico Arco <i>and</i> Checchino dal 1887 but for traditional Roman food I'd definitely pick Checchino dal 1887. It is more of a restaurant than a trat. Although they specialize in 5th quarter meats, I had an incredible lamb dish and the carciofi were great.

For the person who asked about prices, I think when we were there the tasting menu at Antico Arco was around 70E pp but of course most people don't go hog wild (six or seven courses?) like I do! More with wine. Checchino dal 1887 was less, no tasting menu but an extensive wine list so one could do damage there, I am sure.

If you're staying in the center, I've also had some good meals at Osteria del Pegno and Risotrante Montevecchio, both near Piazza Navona.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -