Yorkshire Dales - hikes and inns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two questions, please. First, I don't find any reviews here or on Trip Advisor for an inn in Cray called The White Lion that we visited in the early '90s. It was a wonderful location and an enjoyable experience and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the inn. We'll (DH, DS x2)be there in early July 2008 if that makes any diff. Second question - we'd like to do a walk or two in that area during the two days we plan on staying - any personal favorites on walks in the area? I'd like to walk near/around Pen-Y-Ghent and environs but have a problem with steep areas and heights (I know!!) and would like something that does not involve clinging by fingernails or being on paths along high steep ridges. Am I asking the unlikely?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM

The Yorkshire Dales is a lovely area for hiking and no, you don't need to hang on for dear life! There are many gentle hill and valley walks. I'd recommend the Pathfinder guides, with graded walks. It has everything from gentle afternoon strolls to more challenging walks.

http://www.totalwalking.co.uk/guide_...cfm?guideID=39

My favourite short walk in the Dales is the Ingleton waterfall walk. About 4 miles up along one river and down another with lots of waterfalls en route.

I also came across this useful site:

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/walks/index.htm

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maria, those are both great links! That "gentle afternoon stroll" sounds about right for me, although I bet DH and two teen boys would disagree.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else? I'd be grateful for any input!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM

Stefi

I am afraid you hit the jackpot the first time -

Maria H is right Ingleton is the best low key walk in the area.

You could give Malham Cove a shot - there is a high sheer cliff of limestone - on stop is a large area of limestone pavement - what is very strange is the river that disappears at the top of the cliff about a mile from the edge then reappears at the base where the rock strata changes - ie a large river just appears as if by magic from the base of the cliff.

While in the area try the Angel at Hetton for a true old English pub serving the best ale around. Alternatively just across the border in civilised Lancashire try the new Highwayman in Nether Burrow - just had a £2m refurbishment and the food is all locally sourced - it is worth the extra distance.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM

bookmarking

great info - thank you