Reload this Page >

York, Oxford, Bath?

Search

York, Oxford, Bath?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:04 PM
fred-o

York, Oxford, Bath?

<BR> <BR>Greetings, my little darlin's!<BR><BR>I am still trying to figure out my trip to England, as I leave 11/27 for 2<BR>weeks for a London wedding. While there, I'll rent a car for 4 days and<BR>head up to Coventry<BR><BR>I do want to roam the countryside for about 2-3 days, stay at B&amp;B's, eat<BR>blood sausage and suck on pints in the tiny town pubs. SO, I'm wondering if<BR>anyone has any suggestions as to what should not be missed -- Is it York,<BR>Oxford, Bath? Should we go to Wales? What part? Any great experiences<BR>with places to stay?<BR><BR>Any thoughts anyone might have would be great, as I'm getting overwhelmed by<BR>these guide books, and always feel that word-of-mouth is the best way to go.<BR><BR>If'n yah have any advise, that'd be great. If not, hope all of you are<BR>well.<BR><BR><BR>Thanks -<BR>Fred-o<BR><BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Sylvie

Fred-o,<BR><BR>Hello, I am a fan of York. Not sure about that time of year though.<BR><BR>http://www.salvonet.com/yorkweb/walk/index.htm<BR><BR>I enjoyed Oxford and Bath also. Happy travels. Sylvie<BR><BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Ani

AS I've posted about a million times on this forum...York and N. Wales are my 2 favorite places in the world!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:16 AM
fred-o

thanks for the love sylvie and <BR>ani......any other advice from <BR>the gallerie?

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:53 AM
elaine

I love York as well, but also not sure about November weather up there.<BR>With weather being iffy, I'd stay further south, but that's not a scientific opinion. Many of the attractions of Bath and Oxford are indoors.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Ed

It really all depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I love N. Wales, but haven't been there in winter. York is easily worth two full days, while Oxford and Bath are worth one full day each. Then there is the countryside surrounding each of these places. You really should try to figure out what you would like to see.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:01 PM
steve

just go for it....you'll<BR>figure it out as you go

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:46 AM
dina

I loved oxford, but Bath was a disappointment. It cost approx. $50 to get there and is a 4 approx. hour commute from London but after you see the Baths and walk around the town I found it disappointing. Did I miss something?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:09 AM
elaine

dina, <BR>I can't say that you missed some things, but I found some things. I love the warm color of the Bath stone buildings, I love the Georgian architecture, I like the Costume Museum, I like walking around the river and hearing the band play in the park, I like the Pump Room and Roman baths, I especially like the Abbey for its architecture, I like stopping for tea and a Bath bun or a Sally Lunn bun, I like walking away from the center of time into the quieter precincts, areas I prefer to stay in. The only thing I don't like is the Disney store.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:11 AM
elaine

Also, I don't know why it took you four hours to get there. I think my train ride was about 90 minutes.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Dina

The four hours was round trip.