Yet another train question: Milan to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many of the threads on taking the train, but I am still confused. We have been to Italy before, but have only taken the train once, so don't have a lot of experience. 4 of us will be takibng the train from Milan to Florence next month. Here are my questions:

Can we just get tickets at the time we leave Milan?

Do trains to Florence from Milan leave frequently?

Since 1st class is quite a bit more expensive than 2nd, what are the advantages to getting 1st class? I realize it would be more comfortable, but it is only a 2 hour ride.

Are seats reserved in 2nd class as well as 1st?

For a direct route, what train would we book?

Thanks !
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM
J62

check schedules at www.trenitalia.com.

What train should you take? There are ES trains every hour all day long, every day, with one-stop in Bologna about 1/2 way. Take whatever train fits your schedule.

On ES trains seat reservations are mandatory. They are included in the price of a ticket. Many US credit card holders report difficulty purchasing tickets on the trenitalia website. I don't know all the rules on these discounts, but you can definitely purchase tickets in Milan. Depending on the fare rules you could still get a discount if you buy 1-2 day before your departure. With trains every hour you could simply walk up at the time of departure and buy tickets at standard price.

IMO there is no compelling reason to buy 1st class for a 2hr ride. The 2nd class seats will be more comfortable/roomy than your normal coach airplane seat, plus you can get up an walk around at your leisure.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize there was a discount if you bought the tickets early. I am not sure what time during the day that we would be ready to leave, so am leaning towards buying them right at the time we decide to go (unless it is a generous discount). Again, thank you.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
AV,ES,ICPlus (the fast trains)tickets are sold reserved seat only. You might still qualify for an advance discount if you are a family meeting this description.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM

We bought our tickets from milan to florence 2 days before we wanted to leave. I, also, was not sure what the big difference was between 1st and 2nd class, and wanted to save some $$. The Amica fare is what you want to try to get, since it is the discounted fare. However, they only sell a certain amount of fares at the Amica price, and when they're gone, you pay full price -- hence the benefit of buying your tickets early. If you're only buying one ticket, no big deal, but like you, we were buying 4, so the savings is substantial.

It turned out that 2 days before, the 2nd class amica fares on eurostar were sold out, but they still had 1st class amica fares, which turned out to be almost the same as full price 2nd class. We bought the amica 1st class, non-stop to florence. it was VERY nice and comfortable.

we have also been on the 2nd class eurostar trains, which are totally fine, too. very comfortable.

hope this helps...
the train ride is only a few hours.
have a great trip!!
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Amica fares require a 24 hour advance purchase.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That helps a lot. One last question (maybe):

DH and I will fly into Milan from Seatte and spend the night at Hotel Ariosto. The next day we will take the train to Varenna, stay there 3 days and return to Milan to meet friends who are flying in. We will spend another night at Hotel Ariosto and the next morning we have 9am tickets to The Last Supper and then will probably leave for Florence around 1pm.

It sounds like DH and I should buy the train tickets for all of us and take advantage of the discounted tickets. Now finally, the question.....can we buy the tickets for Milan-Florence when we are at the train station to go to Varenna? Is there an easier option?

Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM

You can buy train tickets to anywhere in Italy at any train station in Italy--so yes, in Milan when you buy your first tickets buy all the rest if you know your desired travel dates and times. There are ticket windows with clerks or easy-to-use machines with English language option. You can also go to many travel agencies in Italy that are authorized train ticket vendors.

Also note that Varenna train station has no facility to sell tickets--no person, no machine--so buy ahead for your return to Milan or be prepared to seek out the travel agency in Varenna that sells tickets.

Wondering why you are staying in Milan when you first arrive only to return again three days later . . . you could head straight to Varenna on arrival.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Yes, you can buy your tickets when you buy the ones to Varenna. You need to allow time to go back to your hotel to retrieve your luggage after seeing the Last Supper or store your luggage at the train station.
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

We are spending the night in Milan because from past experience, we are so tired, I just didn't think we'd be up for the trip to Varenna. I may have misjudged that, but hotel reservations are made, so "it is what it is".

Thanks for all of your help. You answered all of my questions !