Yet another Oyster/Travelcard question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have it (been tying to figure it out on my own) but would like to run this past the FODOR'S experts. We are two adults and one 13yr old arriving in London next week. We're only looking for central London (taking Ray Skinner transfer which we read about on this forum). We need underground tube on Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat - every day peak times. The way I figure - and tell me if I'm wrong: Get a three-day peak Oyster card for Wed, Thurs, and Fri at approx $16.40 US per adult and $8.20 US for the 13yr old. Then for Saturday, a one day off-peak (we can use it any time?) for $5.10 US per adult and $3.30 US for the 13yr old. Am I right?
Where can we buy the Oyster card? Our nearest tube station will be Marble Arch. Would we be able to buy it there?
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM

I think a lot of the confusion on Oyster threads comes from people thinking you have to purchase a specific ticket or travelcard with the Oyster. You don't.

The Oyster Card is a facility that allows you to preload any amount of money to use for travel. The card then works out which would be the absolute cheapest possible fare for your journey (at the journeys end - which is why you must card in and out) and deducts that from the funds.

You can get the card at any tube station.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM

We are travelling with our 13 year old this summer also. If you were going off peak and the adults had multi day travel cards you could get daily £1 cards for your child - but it's aggravating to wait until after 9:30 am if you need your day to start earlier. We are only planning to travel before that time on one day and are taking the bus...
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM

And when I say multi-day travelcards, I mean loaded on to an Oyster.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Is there a 'peak' or 'off peak' period with London Transport? I'm not aware of any such fare structuring. Think there are discounts at weekends/free travel for kids - but no change in fares according to the time of day at which you travel. Are you sure you're not confusing Oyster/LT with mainline rail travel?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM

To clarify, there may be peak/off peak charges for a standard travel card bought on its own, but don't think this applies with Oyster
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think you can load a 3 day travelcard (or a 1 day) onto an Oyster. You might do just as well loading a cash balance onto an Oyster, and doing your travel pay-as-you-go. The card will keep track of your travel all day and cap your daily rate at 50p below a one day card rate. You will have to pay 3 pounds for a deposit on your Oyster, but I believe you can obtain a refund of the deposit and any unused balance at the ticket window in a tube station.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were me (there are a couple of fodorites who will work it out for you save 93 pence but it will just make your head hurt ) I'd just keep it simple. I'd load approx 10-12 GBP on each adult oyster, and 5 or 6 GBP on the child's. Then if you run out the machine will tell you and you can just load a bit more on. And if you don't use it all up - you can get a refund when you leave London.

The readers read out your balance so you won't be caught short.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Hmmmm...Well, I know you can load a seven day travelcard on Oyster, of course, so I assumed you could load a three day on as well. Anyway, the kid for a quid (£1 one day travelcard) cannot be loaded on an Oyster but is, in fact, only good for off peak travel. And a child can only get a £1 travelcard for the day if accompanied by a parent that has a multi-day travelcard (best on Oyster). Wasn't aware it had to be a seven day travelcard but that's what I'm getting/needing anyway.

Let me know if I'm way off base, because I thought I had finally figured it out...
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Guess I didn't have it figured out as well as I hoped. One correction - I said the fares were US, but are in UK. I went back to the web site that gave the Travelcard 3day and 1 day peak/off peak rates and these are the rates they quote. But what I'm hearing you all say is that I can get an oyster card and won't pay any more (in fact less) than if I bought the travelcard. And if I travel less, I pay less. Sounds good to me. I have no problem with the deposit fee. Do we need to have photos taken?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:19 PM

<<< Is there a 'peak' or 'off peak' period with London Transport? >>>

Yes 4:30am to 9:30am each weekday - except public holidays.

If you don't have to travel during those times then don't unless you fancy sharing the public transport system with several MILLION other people