Yet another Alhambra quesiton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Spain in 2 weeks, and want to purchase Alhambra tickets before we leave. Is it worth going 2 times to the Alhambra- once during the day to really "see" the palace and gardens, and once at night to see the palace lit up? Also, I have a friend who hired a guide and really felt this was valuable. What are your experiences- should we hire a guide or is the auditory guide sufficient? We are staying at America- do you think they can get the tickets for us?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Very subjective of course. Personally, I would think that one visit would be sufficient. We spent the better part one morning there, and were pretty much "Alhambred-out" by noontime.

We were with a tour group, so we had a local guide, who was wonderful. The more I travel, the more I'm appreciating the value of a human guide as opposed to the audio ones. You can interact, ask questions and often gain insights not available elsewhere. Of course, it totally depends on the guide. In Barcelona, the our guide for the Picasso Musuem has such attitude that it was as if she was doing us tourists a favor by taking us around. But I've found that most tour guides have a genuine appreciation of their subject and are extremely personable, particularly since tips are important.

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Question-If we do hire a guide, how do we do that?
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Hi justretired,

We're going twice...

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got 3 enthusiastic "yeses" within a few minutes (funny how this can change), so you might do a further search and see what others have to say.

We were there last year for at least 6 hours and were in awe of the place. I've been to the Taj Mahal and other such wonderous sites, and this is one that's way up there on my list.

As far as guides...this is a very personal, subjective thing, of course, but I don't like others telling me all about how they perceive a place or what they feel is beautiful or whatever...I love doing the research myself and it's so easy to do now on the Internet. Just go to google, or the a bookstore, or the library. Then I like to go to the places and truly experience them. I'm an artist and carry a sketchbook and my husband's a photographer, so he's kept busy as well. Of course, it's hard to do this with the crowds, but hopefully it'll be less crowded in Nov.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Tough question regarding Guide/Guided tour; I just got back and the experience at the Alhambra was not great - way, way too crowded for my liking (Oct 10 or so).

Our guide was fantastic (Israel was his name - just fantastic!) but the pace is fast, and you are herded like sheep from room to room. We ended up getting split from our group since I wanted to take a few pictures. Not sure, though, if it's any better to be alone - the crowds are still there.

They are busy, and I hear they do sell out each day, so you may need to get a ticket ahead of time 'somehow'.

One thing to consider; somewhat selfish, but ... there are SOooo many guided tours going on, that you can't even avoid them, so ... listen in on what they have to say then let them rush on!

As I mentioned in another post, for what it's worth, I was glad I stayed in the town and not near the Alhambra; the town is delightful and if you are stuck up at the Alhambra, you will have to make a trek to town. If all you are going for is the Alhambra, then stay there - but you are missing out on what I think is the best part of the visit! (just my opinion!).
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Hi Steerpike,

What is your opinion of visiting the Alhambra as a day trip from Nerja? This will be at the end of our trip (mid Nov.) and I'm wondering if it's worth a 2 hour or so drive through the mountains to get there?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone else please offer an opinion.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:41 PM

Well, if you are looking at a 2 hour drive, that means you are arriving by car ... you'll have to find your way into Granada, then up to the Alhambra, then deal with parking; could be quite an ordeal.

Is this a 'once in a lifetime' visit, or could you visit again at a better time (when you could spend more time)?

Have you been to Seville? To the Real Alcazar?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:53 PM

Justretired,

How long will you in be in Spain for before you go to La Alhambra? I ask because when I was in Spain in June, I bought my tickets at a Caja Madrid bank ( in Malaga ) 2 days prior to going to Granada. When you get to La Alhambra, there is a designated area to pick up the tickets, and the line is much shorter than the one for people buying tickets. The reception at the hotel should be able to tell you which banks sell the tickets, and may even recommend a reputable guide if you ask.

As for "going 2 times", I think one time will suffice, although it depends on how much you can take in during your visit.It is a beautiful, impressive, awe-inspiring place, so you may want to see it a second time before you leave Granada.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:29 PM

My husband and I just visited the Alhambra and we visited just the gardens (a separate 4E ticket is available) on the afternoon we arrived and then visited the palaces the next morning (the full reservable ticket). We liked splitting up our visit, that way we weren't "Alhambraed out" and really appreciated everything we saw. We did not visit at night though, and we were staying at the Parador which made it convenient.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:08 PM

I love the Alhambra at night. Everything feels and looks different. You can imagine it as it might have been six or seven centuries ago. There are tour groups around, but not the throngs that you'll see during the day. You can stop and take in the atmosphere at your leisure.

Things may have changed since I last visited the place about 5 years ago, but the one thing that was surprising about it at night was that it wasn't brightly lit up. Quite the opposite - the lighting was subtle and many rooms were in near darkness. The reason as it was explained to me is that to set up flood lighting inside, ugly cables and lights would have to be installed and would be visible in the rooms and courtyards.

Walking through the courtyards in the moonlight was a pretty memorable experience.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:42 AM

My husband and I were at the Alhambra in early October of this year. I strongly recommend seeing the Alhambra at night and then again in the daylight. They are two completely different experiences. In fact, the nighttime visit was the highlight of our week in Spain. There were hardly any people on the night visit, so you could linger in every room for as long as you liked without feeling pressured to keep moving along. It was incredibly atmospheric to see the rooms lit up - the previous poster was correct that the lighting is dim. At first I was a little disappointed that the rooms weren't more brightly lit, but after a while, I really enjoyed the subdued lighting - it really takes you back in time.

As for the day tour, if you have not already purchased tickets, I highly recommend (as have many other posters on this site) that you get tickets for either the 8:30 or 9:00 tour of the Nasrid palaces. The Alhambra becomes an absolute zoo by 11:00.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:06 AM

Hi Steerpike,

Thanks. You answered my question. This is our first trip to Spain and are traveling with my 75 year old mother-in-law. We will have stayed in Seville before arriving in Nerja.

Might as well have the end of our trip be stress free.... And from all the Spain enthusiasts, I know one visit will not be enough!

Thanks again,

Tam
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all , for your comments. I think that we'll probably go twice- we love to absorb the "flavor" of where we are. Still would love to know how to hire a private guide, if we decide that's what we want to do. Do we contact the hotel or the Alhambra itself? Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:45 PM

Jam40

Where does one buy tickets in advance for either tours of the Nasrid palaces?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM

justretired,
For a private guide or for a group tour with guide, I'd contact your hotel and ask them to arrange it for you.

trvlbug,
To purchase advance tickets for your Alhambra complex visit (the portion for the visit to the Nasrid Palace section of the Alhambra complex is reserved in timed 1/2 slots, the first slot at 8:30) see
www.alhambratickets.com