Yeah!!! Scavi Confirmation Arrived!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - First of all thanks to everyone for so much information. I have been taking tons of notes for our upcoming trip in May. I just wanted to pass along my Scavi information in hopes that it helps other future traveler's with their planning as the whole Scavi booking system is so erratic.
So.. I sent in my initial request via e-mail in December 2006 and received confirmation of receipt of my request late January 2007. Today!!! 3/08/07 I received our booking for Sat. 5/15 3;15. It couldn't have worked out better as we booked a Rome Walks tour of the Vactican on the same day from 8-12. Hope this info. is of help. Any suggestions on how to spend the early afternoon in this area while waiting for our Scavi tour? What about good restaurants in the area? THANKS.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Pausanias

Hey Kay --

You will love the Scavi tour.

Below are excerpts from my recent trip report Rome Bologna and Ravenna. It concerns a little restaurant -- by no means fancy -- a short walk from the Vatican.

"After leaving the Basilica we had lunch at the small Hostaria Pizzeria “Da Vito and Dina” at 50 Via Degli Scipione, a few blocks away. The place had been recommended by an acquaintance, who’d been taken there by an acquaintance of his at the Vatican. It seems to have a small stream of local clientele as well as a trickle of tourists. A quiet, unassuming place to have a pretty good pizza or plate of pasta. Vito worked in a restaurant in California for a while, though he seems to have forgotten most of his English, and will show you a framed article about it showing him in a tux. He may introduce himself as Vito Corleone. If you need a bite while in the area give him a try -- I fear Dina rules with an iron hand, and the poor man needs a little friendly company."

Second visit a few days later . . .

"We retreated to Vito and Dina’s little Hosteria for another lunch. It was sheer luxury to sit quietly after the jostling in the museum. I had the linguine allo scoglio -- mussels, clams, shrimp and squid in a light tomato sauce. They do it nicely."

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Hi, Kaybee. I agree that you will love the Scavi tour. As for something to do during the early afternoon, you could go through Sistine Chapel if you haven't done that yet (not sure if that's included in your Vatican tour), or you could walk down the street and tour the Castel St. Angelo.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi kaybee, You mentioned that your tour date is Sat. May 15th, the 15th is a Tuesday. Just wanted to make sure that you had the right date. I will be on the Scavi tour on Mon., May 14th and can't wait to see the Vatican and all it has to offer. Have fun!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Pausanias: Thanks for the DaVito & Dina recommendation. We'll give it a try!

Samsaf: Thanks for the Castel St. Angelo tip. That is also on our list of sights to see.

N2TRVLG: Sorry - I meant Sat. 5/5 not 5/15. Hope you enjoy your Scavi tour as well!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM

You'll enjoy the Scavi tour... That was the highlight of our trip to Rome...