Search

Xmas Markets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Mike

Xmas Markets

I have seen the names of towns who have decent Xmas Markets but my search has failed to locate the earlier posting. Has anyone done the Xmas Markets and can give me a list of towns along the Romantic Road that really interested them? We plan on leaving Dec. 6 and stay about ten days.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Tom

Mike, <BR> <BR>Particularly liked the one in Munich, but then again Munich is one of my favorite cities. Also liked Freiburg, but it is not on the RR. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Lee

Mike, although 'touristy', the Christmas market (or Christkindlmarkt) in Rothenburg is very nice. Many vendors have displays and of course, Kathe Wohlfarht's Weihnachtsdorf shop is the main stop in town. The entire town is involved and the main square has music, food, drink and articles for sale. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg at Christmas is an amazing place, especially if you have some snow in this medieval walled town. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure where you are starting or ending your trip, but many towns (and cities) have Christmas markets as well. Maybe you want to check into it.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Kathy

I don't have first hand knowledge of the Christmas Markets but my son who lives in Germany, likes the one held in Nuremburg. Check your travel books. I think the Nuremburg one is referenced. <BR> <BR>Can well imagine that Rothenburg at Christmas to be somewhat similar to being inside one of those glass-globe snowball-decoration things. It would be MAGICAL because Rothenburg is so "cutsie" and "gingerbreadish" already. Have fun!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Mikey

Message: Kathy and Lee <BR>Thanks for the help. Our ideal was to start in Wurezburg and end in Nuremberg,that way we could take the RR and also go through Garmisch and Oberammrgau, making a circle xmas shopping tour.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:09 AM

topped some posts for you.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:28 AM
John

Hi Mike: <BR> <BR>We will be in Germany the same time. We plan on basing in Rothenburg and day trip up to Nurenburg (Two of the better Markets). Then heading down and basing between Munich and Garmisch. Plan on hitting munich for one day and then just roll thru the Alps for the atmosphere!! <BR>JOHN

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Mike

Thanks for the information and for the "top". I think I have a place to start. I do like the idea of basing between Munich and Garmisch. Garmisch area is one of my favorite areas of Germany. Again thanks.