Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Xmas and New Year's in Istanbul -a good idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Edina

Hi Everybody, <BR> my sister and I are planning on spending Dec 23-Jan 2 in Istanbul, lodging in a hostel and just wandering around the splendid sights of that city, as opposed to the dysfunctional family setting back home. Is it a good time to go? Are museums open? Has anyone been there New Year's Eve? Dear fellow travel buffs, your comments and ideas would be much appreciated.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 01:15 AM
Paige

Since they're mostly Muslim, I would think Christmas might go unnoticed there. I was there over Easter last year and that was the case. Do you know when Ramadan is? I had to chuckle about your dysfunctional family comment. I can relate!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 09:10 AM
William

EXCELLENT IDEA! It's one of my favorite cities this time of the year. I haven't yet decided whether to go there this year. Christianism is very little known, so there's absolutely nothing to remind you of X-mas festivities or even New Year's. No bank holiday at all, everything is as open as any other time. But you may wish to reconsider staying in an unknown hostel: look for something more comfortable, instead (still between U$40-80 DR). <BR>It rains all the time, there's hardly ever any sun (or tourists; or indoor heating...), so take more than 2 pairs of weatherproof shoes along. Email me if you want to know more.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 02:43 PM
Edina

Thanks, that's already a big help -I had no idea that it rains in Istanbul in winter, for instance. I've read that this year the end of the Ramadan festivities (Sekem Bayrami, I guess) actually fall to Dec 26-29. I hope it's something the average tourist can enjoy as much as the locals.

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 07:14 AM
don

I ahve been to Istanbul, but in the spring.It is a very interesting city. However, I would be hesitant about the time you are planning to go. I have a friend who lives in Istanbul, and she told me that in the winter Istanbul is very cold, and because the fuel used to heat is coal, it is also very, very polluted. Sorry for sounding negative.

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 04:40 AM
Hicran Çimen

Hi! <BR>Ýstanbul is a lively city; any time of the year! But as you have already noticed, we have the religious Ramadan festival corresponding to the last week of the year, which means all banks and many shops (not he big ones!) will be closed. But not the museums! The festival is something that is celebrated within the families, but you may still find some kind of celebrations. Moreover; there are many Christians living in Ýstanbul, and many cathedrals also. <BR>Taksim Quarter is the best place to be for the 31st December. If you change yor plans for the Christmas, try springtime; Ýstanbul is really very nice in the spring. <BR>Have a nice travel!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:59 PM
M&J

Hello Edina. <BR>We just returned from the Aegean Sea Coast and still unpacking. We have a small write-up with suggestions for the first time visitor to Istanbul. If interested, just email us and we will send it to you. <BR>There is a cost,however. When you return, you have to share your trip with us !

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 11:15 AM
murat

dear edina, <BR>it will be a quite good idea to spend christmas in istanbul but you have to determine what to do before.otherwise you will be gettin bored for not knowing what to do.ramadan will be ending on 26.12 and then bayram will start. I expect that istanbul will be not crowded as we will have a long holiday starting from 22.12 until 01.01. in istanbul it will not be possible to arrange a hostel but there are plenty of hotels which are cheap and clean. as I am frequenlty travelling to istanbul ý can advise you some. could u please let me know of your budget so that ý will give u some clues. <BR>best regards <BR> <BR>murat