Search

Xanax

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Traveler

Xanax

A family member who is not a good traveler is headed off to Japan. A three hour car ride has her bouncing off the walls, and this is 14 hours in coach, if all goes well. I am suggesting that she ask her doctor to prescribe a couple lowest-dose Xanax pills to get her through the flights. Would appreciate any comments from those of you who have used Xanax for this purpose so that I can pass them along to her and let her know she is not alone. And, how did your doctor react to your request for the Xanax? Thanks!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
xxx

Good question, I look forward to hearing some responses. I was planning on taking a couple of Tylenol PMs, since I'm typically anti-med. Anyone have experience taking these on long flights?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:44 PM
Shanna

As much as I hate to admit being anxious, it has happened and I was precribed xanax. It is very lovely. No weird effects, just calm. An emergency room doctor gave it to me, but my own doctor would not give me more, even though 8 tablets lasted me a year. It's supposed to be very addictive, although I'm not evidence of that. If your family member has a medical history of anxiety, s/he shouldn't have a problem getting a prescription, but I believe a lot of doctors are relucant.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
kam

Ambien is a safer shorter acting drug. My doc has no problem giving me that for European flights. The other one to consider is Sonesta. Xanax is in a different classification and yes, much more addicting.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
Staci

I am also an anxious flier, therefore I use Ativan (lorazepam), which is prescribed by my physician. I take one or two 1 mg tablets 2 hours before the flight. It is just very relaxing and does not make you sleepy or "knock you out." If your relative is not diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, it may be hard to get a prescription?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Marilyn

Availability for any of these drugs will depend on your relationship with your doctor, although a non-addictive substance like Ambien will most likely be easier to get. <BR><BR>Whatever your family member is prescribed, she really should try it once before taking it on the plane. All of these drugs are experienced differently by different people, and I know people who are rendered practically unconscious by all of them, including Ambien, which does not have that effect at all on me.<BR><BR>If you search this forum for threads on how to sleep on long flights, jet lag, etc, you will find tons of discussion of Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, and more.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:38 PM
A Nurse who knows

Lets clear a few things up here:<BR><BR>1- Your doctor works for you and should have your best interests at heart. You should not be afraid to ask for medicine, nor should you care what his reaction is to your request. A good doctor is respectful of your wishes, while taking care of your needs. (mine is-thank you Dr.Carey)<BR><BR>2-Ambien is for sleep. Not for reducing anxiety. It is also very short acting, putting you to sleep, but not keeping you asleep. Tylenol PM/Benadryl (benadryl is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM) is also for sleep induction. Benadryl tends to last longer. <BR><BR>3-It is Sonata. Not Sonesta. That is a hotel.<BR><BR>4-Most people who are prescribed anti-anxiety meds do not have a diagnosed anxiety disorder. <BR><BR>5-Ambien IS addictive. <BR><BR>That being said, I think that Xanax, Ativan, or Valium would probably be the best bet for a lengthy plane ride. I always get a few 0.5 mg Xanax from my MD before a very long flight. Have your relative talk to their doctor. You honestly don't think she would be the first one to ask for this! Good luck and safe travels...

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Wendy

I use Tylonal PM all the time when I travel. 2 for the flights but only 1 to sleep normal.<BR><BR>Staci I was surprised to see you take Ativan. That is the same anti nauseau medicine they give my mom when she has chemo treatments.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Lina

Xanax is the only thing that can get me on a plane and I fly at least once a month. I even take it for one hour flights. As a matter of fact, I take it before leaving home to counter the effects of my husbands driving. It is great. I take 1/2 of a 1 mg tablet. I could take a little less if I didn't wish to nap on the flight. If it is a short flight, make sure you have a ride home lined up.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Valium

I use Valium (diazapam) now and then in everyday life, and it is perfect for plane flights. Not groggy feeling at all, just calm. For long flights I take 1 5mg just before getting on the plane, and another 1/2 tab after the meal.<BR><BR>I have a long-term and trusting relationship with my doctor, and he is willing to prescribe it for me to have on hand, as long as he doesn't see me refilling the script too often, i.e., "avoid regular use".<BR><BR>Anything named "----zepam" is this same family of drugs.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:15 PM
p.s.

I have also used Halcion, which I don't hear about much anymore. It was in theory *stronger* but shorter acting, maybe more like Ambien?<BR><BR>I HATE over the counter like Tylenol PM. They make me feel VERY strange and have a bad hangover effect.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
zzz

I have a couple of tylenol with codeine left over. How would they be to take?

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:03 PM
Xanaxxx

I use Xanax for long flights and have never had any problems. It was originally prescribed for me by a psychiatrist who knows a lot about medications and recommends it for flying. It is a short-acting anti-anxiety drug. It is addictive, as are most of the drugs being discussed, but not if you take it only rarely.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Placid

Halcion is a sleeping pill in the same chemical family as Valium -- it's meant to knock you out, not calm you down. A better choice would be Klonopin, also in the Valium family, which is used specifically to treat anxiety and panic disorders. It can make you a little groggy, but primarily it's just soothing. A .5 milligram tab should do the trick... it does for me, anyway. I think it's less addictive than Xanax, but don't quote me on that.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
sally

There's some pretty wise advice here but couldn't help adding my 2 cents. Ambien and Sonata are sleeping pills--hypnotics which if taken frequently could be habit forming as they tend to have a rebound effect. Benadryl as in Tylenol PM is an antihistamine which has as a side effect drowsiness, but which has a much longer duration of action and can make people feel hungover and miserable the next day. It can also backfire and keep you up all night and cause hyperactivity in young children. Xanax, Halcion, Ativan, Klonipin, Valium etc. are anti anxiety drugs which will relax you if you are afraid to fly but are not true sleeping pills. You should explain what you need to your doctor and not try to second guess him/her as to which medication you should take. That's why he/she went to med school. None of these drugs used for specific travel purposes are going to make you a druggy out on the streets. In fact, your doctor will most likely just give you 10-30 doses with no refills. Also, very wise advice to take it at home a few days ahead of flight. I took lowest dose of Sonata and couldn't drive safely until about 3 pm the next day. I could have never driven a rental car by myself after a redeye flight. Doctor was surprised, but each body reacts differently. I can comfortably take 10 mg. of Ambien and be wide awake in 6 hours. Go figure. Also, the wisest advice to follow, don't mix any of these with alcohol which you will be tempted to do when the carts come by. And avoid caffeine.<BR>Just explain the situation to your doctor and I'm sure you'll be helped. As the above RN says a good doctor is one who works with you to effectively solve your medical needs. Good luck.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:31 PM
Michelle

This is a very interesting post!! My mother, sister and I are leaving for Italy next week. I have NEVER been able to sleep well on the plane. My sister has a stash of Xanax, so we've been debating if we should take it or Tylenol PM. Hummmmm???? Maybe we will give it a try this time. I've taken it in the past.<BR><BR>By the way--- Sonesta Santiago, Chile --the best hotel I've ever stayed in. After an 8 hour bus ride over the Andes, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw my room!!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:34 PM
belinda

Xanax works great for this purpose. Doubt anyone is going to get addicted from taking it for a couple of flights. Best approach is to be very honest with her physician about why she needs it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
sally

Just one thing I forgot---tylenol with codeine is an anagesic. Save it for a sprained back or bad toothache. It most likely will not put you to sleep on an airplane. Klonopin is anti anxiety/panic attack/ anti seizure disorder drug, is no less addicting, but is easier to withdraw from long term because of its longer half life.Among its side effects are nausea,indigestion, drowsiness, dizziness, headache,SLEEPLESSNESS and changes in sex drive. It really wasn't meant to put you to sleep to fly to Europe!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
p.s.

Tylenol 3's (script tylenol & codine) pep me up, not put me to sleep! Though they are in the larger narcotic family, I sure wouldn't take them on the plane (unless you just want to "have a good time").<BR><BR>That's my same complaint with the over-the-counter drugs mentioned above. So was interesting to hear from the nurse posters above. They really "wire" me. NO Tylenol PM or Benedryl for me!<BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:21 PM
J

I am a very anxious flyer and was too embarassed to ask my doctor for something. Finally, I did and he prescribed Xanax. It was a miracle drug. It's a controlled substance so you can't get too large of a prescription for it anyway. I have an addictive personality (smoked for much longer than I care to admit) but I have never had a concern that I felt that I might become addicted or dependent on it. Ambien is for sleeping and frankly it has been useless for me when flying. I'm more likely to fall asleep with Xanax because I am much more relaxed. <BR><BR>Don't be afraid to take it. However, while I have never had a bad reaction to it, the person who suggested that you try it once at home before the trip, made a good suggestion. It would be a nightmare to have some strange pyschotic reaction to a medication at 35,000 feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -