Search

X-rays and Film

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 06:52 AM
Donna Pointkouski

X-rays and Film

Are the Lead-lined X-ray bags necessary to protect film (ISO 400)?

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 12:43 PM
asif

I have not had any trouble without the bags. I just brought back 6 rolls of high speed film through european customs, and the pictures didn't seem to be affected at all. I have read that it makes no sense to use lead lined bags, since for security scanning purposes the authorities just turn up the x-ray dial to look through the bags anyway.

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 12:59 PM
kate

<BR>the only film that might be altered by the x-ray machines is high speed film, ie: 1000,1500 etc. You should be fine with 400.

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 02:08 PM
Donna

We took 400 to Paris in our checked luggage which was inspected and run through the machines four times. The pictures came out just fine.

Old Nov 8th, 1998, 02:36 PM
sarag

i flew into the orly airport and tried to get my film hand checked. I have done this in many countries and never had a problem. EXCEPT here where they insisted on placing it through the metal detector. It was fine though. so i guess it didn;t matter

Old Nov 8th, 1998, 08:21 PM
Joanne

I've always had my cameras and film hand-checked. Even though it is said that the x-ray machines are safe, I have also heard that it is dependent upon the right calibration - and that in certain countries, the machines are older and not reliable. Boy, do I get nasty looks! But it's better than getting back and finding that a film is ruined. <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 03:04 AM
Donna

Well, I posted the original question. I visited Germany in October (Munich airport) and my film (400 speed) went through the x-rays with no problems. The pictures look great. Thanks for everyone's responses!