Search

WWII vet gets lift fronm Chirac

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWII vet gets lift fronm Chirac

Cute story.

LONDON, England -- A D-Day veteran has told how he hitched a lift with French President Jacques Chirac after he got lost following Sunday's ceremonies in northern France to honor the men who liberated Europe in June, 1944.

Keith Coleman, a former RAF gunner from New Zealand, got on the wrong bus after the main international D-Day ceremony in Arromanches, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported.

Instead of getting back to his hotel in Paris he ended up stranded at a remote French military airfield.

But help came from a most unexpected quarter when according to the 86-year-old he was invited by Chirac to fly back to the French capital on board one of the country's presidential jets.

"I left the ceremony and there was this bus outside that people were getting on to and I thought to myself, I'll give this one a go," Coleman, who was traveling by himself and does not speak French, told The Guardian.

But at the end of the ride, the other veterans got on a plane and he was alone.

Coleman, who flew more than 70 sorties over occupied Europe in bombers and fighters, told the paper he then had a look in the terminal.

"There was this important-looking guy wearing gold braid who I told my story to and I guess he must have felt sorry for me, because he made a few phone calls and told me he thought he could get me back to Paris," he said.

The next thing the ex-RAF man knew, he told The Guardian, he was being driven "at more than 150 mph" to another airfield where two Gulfstream jets were parked. He was given a glass of what he said was "the best red wine I've ever tasted" before a vast cavalcade pulled up and Chirac stepped out.

"He came over ... I snapped to attention and gave him a little salute ... he put his arm round me. He said he would be happy for me to travel in one of the airplanes and gave instructions that I was to be driven to the door of my hotel in Paris," the veteran said.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Great story!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Airlawgirl

why? you really think the reception would have been any different? When M. Chirac worked his college years in and around the Boston area, loves American culture AND speaks English? It may surprise you to know, that in the upcoming G-8 summit in Sea Island, Ga. the State Dept. spokesman said, upon determining which world leader would need what types of drinks in their suite, that the the French Foreign Ministry personnel advised State that there would be no need for any French mineral water, or French wine, no, no- instead, all M. Chirac would be needing to drink was....Budweiser. The State Dept. spokesman then went on to say "imagine my surprise....Jacques Chirac is a Budman."

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Airlawgirl, I did not know Chirac worked here, thanks for the info!!! See, I learn something new everyday! I think it is a kick that he likes Bud! What a grin Judy
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:26 AM

I have no doubt president Chirac would have done the same for a yank,If nothing else Chirac is a politician who understands good p.r.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:42 AM

That's a great story, its not about being american but being a veteran from any country in the war. Nice to know people still have respect for them. We were watching on TV the ceremony this weekend, it was really touching. I was impressed the German Chancellor was there, it's good closure and show how we can overcome the bad times politically
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Wonderful story and isn't it great that these grand old men are finally being recognized?

My husband and I attended the WWII Memorial Dedication in Washington, DC recently. My father was a vet and fought in the Battle of the Bulge (he's been dead for many years) and we decided to go for him. We were unable to get tickets so made reservations to observe a simulcast at Udvar-Hazy.

There were many, many vets around town and an incident that brought tears to our eyes follows:

While at the Air & Space Museum on the mall, we observed two young woman (probably 13 or 14) approach an elderly veteran and asked if he had fought in WWII. When he replied "yes" he had fought in the Pacific, they shook his hand and thanked him.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Ivy

Giovanna: that made ME get teary! very nice story!