Reload this Page >

Wuthering Heights farmhouse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:01 PM
Cindy

I read that you can find the ruins of the farmhouse that Wuthering Heights was based on somewhere near York. Has anyone ever done that? Comments? Also, I've read about the moors since I was little, and am wondering if I'll see them in Scotland as well as England. I don't even know for sure what a moor is, but in my mind, they are wild and wonderful (I never saw the moor, I never saw the sea, yet know I how the heather looks, and what a wave must be ---Emily Dickinson). Comments?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:40 PM
janis

Don't know about the farmhouse. <BR><BR>But for moors - the most famous are: The North Yorkshire Moors; Rannoch Moor in Scotland; and Exmoor and Dartmoor in the southwest. Mostly "wild and wonderful", and beautiful and desolate. <BR><BR>If you drive to Glen Coe you will pass along the edge of Rannoch moor. The A82 goes straight north towards the moor and then turns west down into Glen Coe. If you take the train from Glasgow to Fort William you will pass through the center of the moor - there are no roads across it at all.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:14 AM
sylvia

The house is called Top Withens<BR>There's a bit about it and how to get there at http://www.bronte-country.com/top-withens.html

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:57 AM
ttt

Topping

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
GAC

I actually visited the ruins of Top Withens during my trip to Hawarth in 1996. It's a delightful 90 minute walk thru the moors from behind the town cemetery.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
Cindy

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, a delightful 90 minute walk with my two children would probably be a bit much (is that 90 minutes each way, or 45 minutes each way?). <BR><BR>Also, is a moor is a moor is a moor? Do the ones in Scotland basically look like the ones in England?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:36 AM
GAC

90 minutes EACH WAY! Not strenuous, but long! Involves crossing over a low country wall on a short ladder. Dirt track most of the way.