Wurzburg/Nuremburg

Mar 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Wurzburg/Nuremburg

Hello! Several weeks ago I posted my intinerary ideas and now I have the beginning and end of my trip firmed up but still am having some indecision about the middle of it. I received some great advnice but after researching various train schedules, I am worried that we will be spending too time on trains:

Day 1: Frankfort to St. Goar (3 nights)
Day 4: St. Goar to Wurzburg/Nuremburg (2 nights)
Day 6: Wurzburg/Nuremburg to Berchtesgaden (2 nights)
Day 8: Berchtesgaden to Munich (3 nights)

I am leaning toward hitting the Residenz in Wuzburg on day 4 after leaving St. Goar and staying nights 4 and 5 in Nuremburg. Is this a plausible day?? I would also like to see Rothenburg on a day trip, day 5. Is this too much hoping around from train to train? I've already cut Heidelburg out of my intinerary as it seemed too out of the way from St. Goar and the Rothenburg area!

Thanks for your help! P.S. Renting a car just isn't for us!!
Mar 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM

no - these are all short train trips with about two trains an hour on each.

Even Heidelberg from St Goar is a snap, probably just over an hour.

Nuremburg has never excited me but i supposed you have reason to go there - OK base for Regensburg i guess.
Mar 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
ira

Hi M,

Is there a reason for staying in Nuremburg instead of Wurzburg or Rothenburg?

Mar 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM

We really enjoyed Nuremberg and found it convinient for day trips as well. The main train station is right outside the Altstadt. We spent our time in Nuremberg wandering around the Altstadt and checking out the castle. We went to Rothenberg one day on the train, and it was easy. There are 2 train changes, which I thought might be a bit confusing, but it wasn't. I think it took a little over an hour to get there from Nuremberg - it wasn't a long trip. And the ride through the countryside was nice.
Mar 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
MKE

Rather than 3 days in St. Goar, may I suggest one or two days in St. Goar, followed by one or two days in Heidelberg.

My preference would be a day in Rothenburg in place of Wurzburg. (It rained the day I was in Wurzburg last October, so I may be less impressed with the town than I shoud be.)

I didn't care much for Nuremburg but absolutely loved Bamberg which is about 30 minutes from Nuremburg by train.

Bamberg is my favorite -- even better than Heidelberg, Rothenburg or Salzburg. (I only spent two days in Salzburg and wished I had more time. The Sound of Music Tour and the Salt Mines Tour both take you into the Austrian countryside - including a brief stop in Berchtesgaden - absolutely breathtaking.)

Berchtesgaden is a beautifully scenic town, but I think 1 night is enough. Go to Salzburg for the second night before going on to Munich, which is definitely worth 3 nights.
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Ira, I was leaning toward Nuremburg or Wurzburg as both towns appear to be easier to get to from St. Goar than Rothenburg (3 connections over 4 plus hrs), plus Rothenburg sounds like it may be a bit touristy to stay in for too long. Nuremburg is appealling as it appears to be a bit bigger and is closer to Berchtesgaden than Wurzburg. Am I making sense? I don't want to spend the whole trip skipping from hotel to hotel and train to train. We definitely want at least 2 nights in each hotel.
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM

In Nuremburg i found fascinating not the city so much - and like jcorrea says it is very pleasant - was the Nazi parade grounds a few miles south of the city centre.

Here you have the stadium and viewing stand where Hitler stood to review elaborate parades staged here.

The parade ground, with its granite blocks, is still there though a bit overgrown.

Not much publicized by tourist office it seems, i only stumbled on it when i was staying at a nearby campground years ago.

Maybe it's rehabbed now but was shabby condition then - yet so evocative of past horrors.
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I was fortunate enough to live in Nürnberg and Würzburg, and visited the other sights that you mentioned. It all sounds great and we are going for trip encompassing some of the same sights this summer.

Although all the places are great, I would want to see fewer of them and see them better. It depends on the pace that you like to travel and how much time you want to spend on trains as you mentioned.

Rothenburg is best at night. Würzburg has a castle and a major river as well as the Residenz. Nürnberg is steeped in history. I might focus on this area, and the Rhine or the Alps.

But, it does all come down to personal tastes.

Regards, Gary
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM

I've been spending some time lately in Nurnberg and have started to really prefer it to Wurzburg or Heidelberg. Rothenburg is fun during the Christmas markets, especially on opening night, but otherwise it's a bit touristy. On my first visit, I wasn't initially impressed with Nurnbeg, but we day tripped in on that trip.

There are a lot of little nooks and crannies in Nurnberg and each time I find something different to explore. And, as someone else mentioned, I really like the accessibility from the altstadt to the hauptbahnhof which makes connections to FRA very easy. I typically stay at Le Meridien right outside of the altstadt and across from the hauptbahnhof.

I would think it depends on when you go, and what you prefer to do.

Mar 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I think your plan is just about perfect, Melissa. Stay in Nuremberg after a stop in Würzburg, as you said. Bamberg is indeed very nice but you'd need another day for a daytrip there, I think.
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Melissa,

I was born in Wurzberg and lived in Nürnberg for several years as an early teenager (Army brat). I (we) left Wurzberg when I was very young but Nürnberg is one of my "must see" cities in Bavaria. The proximity of the altstadt and train station are perfect for me and as Gary mc says, the city is steeped in history, both middle ages and more recent (but not too glorious) history. A nearly 1,000 year old castle, 3 significent early churches, the walled city, there is just so much to see that isn't as "touristy" as Rothenburg. Find the citie's website and search for the Historic Mile and you'll find days worth of stuff to discover ion Nürnberg.

PalenQ, I was fortunate to have lived in Nurnberg in 1966-1968 and got to see the stadium before they tore down the collonades in 1967 and immediately after. My high schiool actually played their football (US-style, is there any other? ) games there when it was known as "Soldier's Field" (with regards to our friends from Chicago). It has not been improved since you last saw it, we were there in May 2004 and it was looking mighty shabby, but the field was sill in use for local fairs and some athletic endevours. The Congree Hall now houses a fairly impressive exhibit and the Große Straße is still clearly seen.

You could make St. Goar (middle Rhein somewhere) base #1 and Nurnberg base #2 and make day trips of mostly everything you want to see except Berchtesgaden.

MvK