Reload this Page >

Wow, thanks Fodors! Instant indexing!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:37 AM
elaine

Hi all<BR>I just noticed that something wonderful has happened to the process by which new postings are "indexed" so that they show up when you do a Search here. It used to take a couple of weeks so that to find recent postings on a particular topic you had to keep scrolling down on the left.<BR>I just did a search on the Residenza San Pantaleo and TODAY's posting showed up first in the search results.<BR>Thank you Fodors!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Rex

I commented a few days ago, Elaine, on hoe the indexing seems to be keeping up to as little as 24 hours behind. I thought it was 203 days behind yesterday morning - - but if this change is ongoing it is indeed a very positive development.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Rex

It's not "real time" instantaneous - - at least not yet. You can't rtetrieve THIS thread with the word "process" as of right this minute.<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:41 AM
xxx

Do you need to?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 08:43 AM
elaine

I guess "instant" was an exaggeration on my part, and I didn't realize this was old news.<BR>Still, it helps a lot.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Martha Stewart

I totally agree. It's a good thing.<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:10 AM
ttt

topping, before Martha sinks<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Tiptop

It's nice to be able to pull up recent threads again, but it is still a very, very persnickety indexer. I wanted to find the "pet peeve" thread on the US forum and typed in "peeve." No dice. Typed in "pet" and found it but noticed that "peeves" was the word I should have used. IOW, it has to be letter-for-letter with no additional letters OR, it seems, punctuation -- don't look for "farm" if the only appearance is "farm,". <BR><BR>But I know, if you are at all computer literate, you have to be prepared for all kinds of limitations to search functions. So you are all on your own ingenuity here.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:42 AM
jw

Now here's a really dumb question. Does a search for a particular phrase or town or hotel only give results if that phrase appeared in the subject line of the posts? J.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Howard

No

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:19 AM
up

up<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:47 AM
xxx

Someone at Fodors might be on vacation. The indexing was doing a great job since this spring with daily or every other day indexing updates, even on the weekend.<BR><BR>But right now it is 6 days behind, so be persistent if you are looking for a recent thread and cannot find it. You just have to keep going back the previous 50, over and over and over.<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:30 PM
topping

hope they will make this a TOP priority.<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Hey Elaine, Write to the Fodors editors

Now ten days un-indexed.<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:15 AM
xxx

Nothing has been indexed for the past 14 days, as of today.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:00 AM
Tom

With the cleanup getting done, maybe the indexing backlog will get tackled next.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Tom

Or maybe not.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Tom

They didn't do anything about it today.<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Tom

Will it come today?