Wow Hotel in Central Rome?

Nov 13th, 1999, 07:13 PM
David

Wow Hotel in Central Rome?

I am looking for a nice hotel in a great location in Rome. Hopefully in the $200 to $300 range and located within walking distance to shopping and sites. Would like one with a rooftop restaurant or bar to enjoy the evenings. Hopefully one with modern conveniences and a classy atmosphere.
Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

Nov 13th, 1999, 07:45 PM
Rex

For a limited time only (now until January 9, 2000), the archives of the Los Angeles Times are open, free of charge. You will have to register as a user (no charge), thus it doesn't work to paste in an address for an article here.

I recommend to you the article "When in Rome...where to stay" by Susan Spano, which appeared Sunday, September 26, 1999. Go to www.latimes.com and search for "Spano". She recently researched over 50 hotels in Rome - - mostly in the $100-200 range, but I think she may have some ideas of hotels in upper categories as well.

Please write me if you are having any trouble retrieving the article.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 14th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Patrick Ashton

Our luck with hotels in Rome has generally not been very good. Last year we stayed, however, at Hotel delle Nazioni near Trevi fountain and it was quite nice. This year their prices have soared to 500.000 Lira (approaching the $300.level). We have always admired Hotel Raphael just behind Piazza Navona and thought it was just too expensive, despite its incredible ivy covered exterior and elegant interiors and its spectacular rooftop terrace for great breakfast. Just booked there for this summer and it is also 500.000 Lira -- a bargain, compared to the others, although the breakfast is 42.000 extra per person, nearly $24. But I think it will be worth every penny. I booked directly with them by email: [email protected] I had called "Small Luxury Hotels" number in US and was quoted a much higher rate. I am really looking forward to staying there.

Nov 14th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Beth

HI David,
we stayed at the Hotel Raphael. Its a few steps off the Piazza Navona, which makes it a convenient central location. Although for shopping you may prefer a hotel in the Via Veneto or Spanish Steps area. In any case the Raphael was very nice, and has an awesome rooftop where they serve drinks, and seem to serve dinner at least some of the time. they have an inside restaurant as well, which serves on the roof when the weather is good, I think. Food was excellent. Not sure what modern conveniences you are after, but the bathrooms were fine, and they had phones and satellite TV too. Price was under $300 even at peak season, so it should hit your price range nicely. I can't remember which website I found them under, but check www.charminghotels.it, and www.slh.com.

Nov 14th, 1999, 07:09 AM
Beth

Patrick, I think you'll really like the Raphael. We got a slightly better rate by booking the corporate rate. And I did this over the internet, without actually admitting I worked for a particular corporation. Saved about $30/night this way. I remember now, that I booked it using the Summit hotels website. They occasionally offer "Summit Exclusives" which included a great rate last year, of only L350,000. I think the site is www.summit.com.

Nov 15th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Carol

Hi David:

I'd suggest the Hotel Eden--has everything you'd want and possibly the best rooftop restaurant in Rome.

Rex--thanks for the Susan Spano rec--I think she's absolutely the best. I just wish she hadn't left the NY Times.

Nov 15th, 1999, 11:44 AM
Dona

David,

Stayed at the Hotel Raphael last year and loved it. The other hotel I considered was the D'Inghilterre which is right near the Spanish Steps - I checked it out when I was in Rome and would certainly consider it.

On my first trip I stayed at the Scalinatta D'Spagna which is right at the top of the Spanish Steps - across from the Hasslet. Went back this time to see if it had changed and it had - for the better. (Although it was wonderful when I was there the first time...)Had just been re-furbished - and they also have a roof garden.

My favorite roof restaurant/cocktail lounge is La Terrazza at the top of the Hotel Eden. Fabulous views - had lunch there twice. I think/know that staying there is over your $300 limit - but a visit is worth it...

Nov 15th, 1999, 02:10 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the tip, Beth, but Summit Hotels shows no availability for the Raphael for my dates (July 1-4,2000). The hotel told me I was getting a 10%discount for booking direct with them. Something wild seems to be happening in Italy next summer. The hotel that charged us 340.000 last summer, wants 500.000 this summer. Our hotel in Verona jumped from 350.000 to 600.000 although that may be because the opera is on this year while we are there. And the Albani in Florence is charging 490.000 for a standard room --guess that's OK. We love the Hermitage there, but didn't check it out this time, as for only one night and traveling by train (four adults), not having two taxis each way should save us quite a bit. We can easily walk to and from Albani to the train station. Guess I've strayed from original topic, just venting a little about the higher prices in Italy next summer.

Nov 15th, 1999, 06:31 PM
Wendy

I just received Fodor's Italy 2000 (the book) today and read that the year 2000 is Holy Year and Rome is expecting 35 million visitors! Thought that might help explain "what is going on" there next summer! We are planning a trip the end of March and I didn't know anything about this until today! Yikes!

Nov 16th, 1999, 05:29 AM
Ruth

We stayed at the Santa Chiara which is one block from the Pantheon. Nice small hotel with modern bathrooms--at ours was. It does not have a rooftop lounge or restaurant but it is across the street from the Holiday Inn Crowne Minerva, which a modern hotel in an old building. That hotel has a beatiful rooftop terrace, which we availed ourselves of several nights, and dinner is served there also.

The location can't be beat--we walked to the Coliseum in one direction and the Vatican in the other. Have a great time in Rome--it is a fabulous city.

Feb 16th, 2001, 07:04 AM
nancy

topping