Woulld Greece be a good choice?

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woulld Greece be a good choice?

We are independent travelers .. been to Middle East, Italy, Malta etc. to have seen enough ruins and archaeological digs than I can remember. A trip to Greece in late Sept/Oct may be more of the same or NOT. Weatherwise, is it a good time of year to go there? Is there much beyond the city of Athens on the mainland and are the off-islands a logistical or pricey issue if combined w/mainland we were to stay at one? Finally, which island would be recommended and are there B&Bs to consider? We enjoy interactions with locals when we travel and wonder if our limits with English only would be a hindrance. Insights and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
CIB

I would vote yes for it being a good choice. Went there last August and I didn't feel like it was only ruins that I was seeing. There is something amazing about the Parthenon though!

We went to Aegina (about 45 min. by ferry) for a day trip one day and then another day we took the beach tram to a beach in Athens. Both were beautiful.

Of course, it is a personal choice for you, but we loved it and are planning on going back next May.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:06 AM

If you don't know what's on the mainland beyond Athens, you need to do some more research. (You can start at Fodor's Destinations tab at the top of this page.) There's plenty: Delphi, Olympia, Mycenae, Corinth, Nafplion....
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:20 AM

...Meteora, Mystras, Ancient Messene, the list is endless, as for islands, well the list is even longer!
Weatherwise, end of Sept CAN see the change to the chance of some rain, cooler evenings/nights, but still a very good chance of most of the days still being warm. Before I lived in Greece it was one of my favourite times to visit, still nice enough to explore sites without overpowering heat!
Definitely do some research, there is a huge diversity of islands, resorts, scenery, beaches & history.
You won't regret a visit I'm sure, & don't worry about the language, although a few words go a long way & are much appreciated, English is widely spoken & used on many signs.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM

While we loved our visit in June, the hilights were definitely the historical sites. We never got to the islands. Keep in mind that the distance between places can be quite long, and the rides are generally on highways. The mountain roads are very twisty. The people and food are wonderful though.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM

There's definitely more to Greece than historical sites, although some (which other posters have mentioned above) are certainly worth a visit regardless of what else you've seen in other parts of the world. There's nothing like the Acropolis.

Also the exploration and exposure to so much of what forms the basis of much of the Western history and culture is hardly to be minimized.

Many people believe you can "do" Athens in a couple of days. If you only want to speed through the ancient sites, maybe that's true (although that's still rushing it IMO). We disagree and think it's a wonderful city with great neighborhoods, cultural opportunities, food and people. Towns like Nafplio are great places to visit and offer their own opportunities and qualities irrespective (or in addition to) of their historical significance.

And of course islands like Santorini offer their own unique pleasures and beauty which can be thoroughly enjoyed without resort to historical ties, if so desired.

In short, it's worth it even if you've seen every other archeological site in the world.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Greece has a lot to offer besides the archaeological sites, but you definitely need to visit some when you are in Greece. In Athens , I suggest you visit Acropolis and then take a walk in the center – you will pass by all the sites and you can see them all, without entering and spending time. From Athens, you can take a day trip to the must-see ancient theatre of Epidaurus and the city of Nafplio which is very beautiful. You can also go to Meteora, in central Greece , it is a place with monasteries built on top of huge rocks, it is stunning. From islands, you can go to Santorini and Samothraki, both are unique but in different ways; Santorini is a typical Cycladic island that stands on a volcano, whereas Samothraki has lots of green and waterfalls. They are far away from each other though.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Each island has it micro culture too. We are great fans of Crete which is worth a whole holiday on its own (or even a lifetime) Different food, different drink, different music, different history, different archaeology.

It's fine enough in October to sit out in hot sun. The sea is warm enough to swim in, although it can cool off in the evening
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Well you seem to have received lots of good well thought out advice but each of us is going to tell you about our favorite places.
For what it is worth here is what I would visit on a first time vacation to Greece.
Athens Plaka area is a great place to spend two or three days not only for the ancient sites, but for the life there. Find a taverna on a Friday or Saturday night where Greeks eat and you will have fun. Explore the Plaka area.
Here are some pictures of the Plaka.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG

A couple of people suggested Nauplion. It is about 2.5 hours from Athens on the mainland. It has a wonderful old town with three Venetian era fortresses. It is on the seaside so it feels like an island. Weekends are busy because so many Athenians come for a weekend get away. I can not think of a better recommendation.
Nauplion
http://travel.webshots.com/album/551991579dJbWvh

You have not said how long you have for your trip so if you still have time the Cylades Islands of Naxos and Santorini make a very good pairing. Santorini for its spectacular views and Naxos for it's old town and Venetian Kastro designed to confuse pirates and now tourists, dining, sitting on the waterfront people watching, great beaches ( late Sept will not be too cold for beaching) and lastly mountain villages where you will see how life in Greece used to be like. Naxos has a permanent population not tied into tourism.
Naxos
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Santorini
http://travel.webshots.com/album/563832695pKqudI
Have fun planning.
Come back when you have an idea of what you want to do and what appeals to you and ask more questions then. We will all be happy to provide additional information.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for visiting the mainland, both the north and the Peloponnese. The north remained under Turkish control longer the rest of Greece and has different feel. See my TR at www.wilhelmswords.com/eur2006.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 09:33 AM

thursdaysd, it all depends on whether the OP wants to experience more of what is considered most-typically Greek... or areas that are more atypical. Some of the north is very "turkish" in feeling, and the Ionian islands (Corfu, Zakinthos, Kefalonia) were occupied by British/German Italian for so long -- most of the 19th Century -- that they have more "flavor" of those lands. The Cyclades, Crete, the Saronic isles, most of the Dodecanese & N.E. Aegean isles, each island grouping differs from the others, but are less flavored by occupiers' culture.