Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you stay in Place Republique Paris?

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Place Republique is a great transportation hub, is close to both Canal St Martin and the Marais, and is one Metro stop away from the Gare du Nord.

Would you book a hotel here?

Thin
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:28 PM

Yes, absolutely, I like Place de la République, close proximity to good restaurants. I suppose the traffic noise could be loud if your windows weren't double-glazed.

Which hotel are you considering? I have a couple days' stopover in Paris in May and am contemplating where to stay myself.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I think generally that's a good place to be located. I prefer southern part of the 11th, East of Bastille, but that might be biased as I have spend a lot of time there.
Like most places in Paris, the Place de la Republique area will have more and less desirable parts, quieter and louder areas. Less than half a block may make the difference between loud and crazy, quiet and peaceful, etc. So we can only speak very generally.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 02:58 AM

Yes. We almost always stay there these days.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 03:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I love the area. However, it is more than one metro stop from Gare du Nord, even though it is close.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 04:31 AM

oh this is a great location for sure! So many nice cafeterias and restaurants and landmarks nearby. I went there recently and would deffo recommend trying breakfast at République of Coffee
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We were thinking of staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Thin🐩
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and this is only 3 nights after we come back from overnight in Versailles. We will stay 2 nights near Invalides when we arrive in Paris as it is close to RER C.

Thin🐩
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 08:31 AM

The Crowne Plaza is an officially classified historical building and it should be perfect for you. You can watch the semi denuded skateboarders right in front of the hotel for quite a bit of the day.

For a meal, I recommend Léon de Bruxelles right across from the hotel. It was the very first location to open before the chain took off and conquered France. And of course the Café Nec Fluctuat Mergitur is an absolute must for a drink in the middle of the day -- it is the only café actually inserted into the square, because it belongs to the city of Paris. So on top of everything else, it is cheaper than many of the other places in the area (avoid the totally overpriced Café Pierre even though it looks great).
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 09:30 AM

I stayed at Bastille. Nice and lively.
I liked the chat ivre that was close to the hotel and one of my favourite restaurants is Santa Carne - fantastic Argentinian.
Fir those who like markets there is one very big on bd Lenoir. I think Friday and some other day.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 09:40 AM

The market is open on Thursday and Sunday. The Sunday market is huge.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Actually, there are two different markets on Boulevard Richard Lenoir -- the Bastille market on Thursday and Sunday and the Richard Lenoir market (a bit farther down the boulevard) on Tuesday and Friday. The second one is much closer to République in case Thin needs to buy some turnips or crevettes grises.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

The only reason we want to stay at the Crowne Plaza is that the hotel has minibars in its rooms and we like to keep snacks like yogurt and cheese cold.

I like to look in markets, but I wouldn't buy any turnips as I hate to cook and will be dining at Le Violon d'Ingres whilst staying in the 7 arrondissement. Why eat turnips whilst on holiday when you have foie gras and Chateau d'Yquem at nice restaurants?

There is a Leon Bruxelles on Bvd St Germain. I have walked past it more than a few times.

Thin🐩
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 01:29 PM

I've stayed near Place Republique years ago and the area was and no doubt still is a great neighborhood - a typical French residential area plus shops around the square and on the main streets. Not a tourist dominated place like Latin Quarter.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 01:32 PM

And of course Place de la République is close to the slightly seedy (to some) but quite exciting area of Oberkampf.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Have stayed at that Crowne Plaza a few times over the years. Location is indeed excellent, its saving grace, really. Property itself is sort of a mixed bag. The nice rooms were quite nice, the rest sort of tolerable for a night or two. And minibar/refris are not in every room, be sure to request it. I'd advise to inspect the assigned room before schlepping bags there and request to move if it is one of the less desirable ones.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
And of course Place de la République is close to the slightly seedy (to some) but quite exciting area of Oberkampf.
Nah...Oberkampf = shoreditch gentrified and trendy.

Just an observation that we're not allowed to even suggest that any undesirable areas of Paris are undesirable in any way or we're accused of being against 'working people' or some other nonsense. But when anyone talks about a nice area, you dig out some tenuous reference to it being seedy in some way. Like the Marais was seedy 40 years ago. Place de la Republique is near "seedy" Oberkampf. etc.
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 11:40 PM

And Montmartre is right next to 'seedy' Pigalle and the Goutte d'Or.... What exactly is your point, W? I don't have the slightest idea of where shoreditch is.
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

We have decided not to stay at Crowne Plaza.

Thin
Old Mar 30th, 2019, 07:57 AM

Moving on.... I can see you are going to put us through the mill long before summer arrives. You just want to see us bicker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information