Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would like feedback on our planned Italy Itinerary please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have five weeks to spend in Italy this September and I would really appreciate any comments from you seasoned travelers and experts on the following itinerary. All travel will be on trains or ferries. Since we are seniors schlepping luggage, we thought we would stay put in several centralized locations and take side trips. Here goes:

Arrive in Florence via overnight train from Paris on 8/25 and attend a cooking/language school in Montevarchi - Chianti (Toscana Mia) for the next five days.
On the 30th we are going to Cortona for 4 nights. While in Cortona, is it possible to day-trip to Assisi or other cities? (We have already been to Siena, Montepulciano, etc.)
The next stop is Sorrento - haven't made train reservations yet - what is the best, quickest way to get there?
We will be in Sorrento for 5 nights, during which time we plan to day-trip to Naples, Capri, Positano and Amalfi coast - but I'm wondering if we should do Ischia (just read the trip report here and it sounds great) - is that a day trip? Would it be worth while to spend a night on the Amalfi coast before heading south to Sicily - can we get to Sicily from there, or do we have to go back to Naples.
From Sorrento we are going to Taormina, with day trips to Palermo, etc. Should we take a train from Naples? or is a ferry better.
After 5 days in Sicily, we need to get back to Rome where we are staying for 5 days before going to Sardinia to sail. Again, what is the best and fastest way to get from Taormina to Rome. It's a long way. Overnight ferry?

Thanks so much for any input. I know it's a lot, (and believe, me I know how fortunate we are to be able to do this!!) But, hopefully it is not as complicated as I think. Taking trains will be a whole new experience for us.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Help, I put this is the wrong forum. It was supposed to go under Italy. Is there a way to change this, or should I repost it in the Italy forum.
Thanks for help.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:58 PM

There's no specific Italy forum, just a Europe one. You should get plenty of responses.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM

I am not clear---will you have a car in Tuscany?
If so, drive it to Sorrento and drop it there.

Palermo is much too far for a day trip fom Taormina.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM

While in Sorrento, you should plan to visit Pompeii. I would save Ischia as you have plenty of day trips for the 5 days you will be there.

I'm not sure about the day trip to Palermo from Taormina. I might consider flying to Palermo from Naples, staying 2 or 3 nights and then moving to Taormina. Lots to see and do in Palermo including Monreale.

You can get a plane from Catania to Rome - probably the easiest way to make the trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - I will reorganize the Sicilian part of the trip.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM
ekc

to get to Sorrento from Cortona, you need to train to Florence or Rome, then Rome to Naples, then local train or driver from Naples to Sorrento.

Since you want to see Capri, Positano and the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento, it might make more sense to stay someone actually on the Amalfi Coast, like Positano (easy ferry ride from Pos to Capri). Then spend the night in Naples on your way to Sicily, since you have to do that whether or not you stay in Sorrento.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. That does make sense. We wanted to move around as little as possible to avoid unpacking and repacking. I should stay in Sorrento, though, to visit Pompeii etc. Right?

Regarding the Sicily portion, following the advice from mamcalice, what if we leave Taormina a day early and spend one night in Palermo, then take a ferry back to Rome. Does that make more sense?

Thanks, once again to all. (Bob, we won't be getting a car.)
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 12:43 PM
ekc

If you stay in Naples the night before you go to Sicily, you could see Pompeii on your way to Naples, either with a driver or bus/train combo. There is a left luggage facility at the entrance to Pompeii.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cortona is not the most convenient place to stay without a car. Assisi, for example, is about 2 hours door-to-door because you have to get to/from the train stations in each city. Where else did you want to go?

There are flights between Naples and Palermo, Catania and Cagliari. Also between Rome and the same cities.

If it were my trip, I'd put Rome after Tuscany/Umbria and fly from Naples to Sicily and then fly from Sicily to Sardinia via Rome or Naples. If you ferry from Palmero to "Rome," you'll arrive at Civitavecchia which is at least an hour from central Rome. You'd have to return to Civitavecchia in order to ferry to Sardinia.

Getting from Sorrento to Taormina by land involves returning to Naples (about 1 hour) and taking a train (about 7 hours), although there is an overnight option.