Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would it be irresponsible of me to drive....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize to those who have already advised me on this, but I want to see what others might think.

I am taking a transatlantic flight and arriving in Manchester, U.K. I had planned to pick up my car and drive 1 1/2 to 2 hours to the Lake District. These will be unfamiliar roads. I will not be used to driving on the left. It will, however, be Saturday (less traffic?) and I promise to be careful. Bad idea?

The suggestion was that I take a train to the Lake District and rent a car from there. But searches for car rental places that will allow me to return my car to the Manchester airport aren't going well.

Thanks in advance for any further input.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:53 PM

<i>Bad idea?&lt;/&gt;

I wouldn't do it.</i>
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Why don't you stay your first day in Manchester, have a good rest in that night and the next day , hire the car and drive to the Lake District ?
Maybe Manchester is not a great tourist destination, but I'm sure you'll find many things to help you overcome the jet lag.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Hello Guy, you will be flying from Florida to the UK, right?

How do you normally feel after flying to Europe?

My late DH always did this. We would fly from SFO on day one, arrive in Italy on day two..around late morning.
He gave himself that day and usually day three to get over jetlag, being tired etc. But of course the flight from SFO is a longer flight than the flight from the east coast of the US.

I would suggest that you NOT drive the day you arrive in the UK..but that is just cautious me! Bad idea..it sounds to me as though you are worried about it from what you have posted. Guy, I wouldn't push myself to drive unless I felt 100% sure that I would be up to it after arriving in Manchester. Better safe than sorry. Best wishes and do have a beautiful and safe trip.

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM

If it would be irresponsible or not depends on you.

Do you suffer from jet lag?

Can you sleep on the plane?

Have you ever driven on the &quot;wrong&quot; side of the road before?

Are you getting a manual when you usually drive automatic?

(Just so you know many countries - including parts of the US limit the # of hours a truck driver can drive - because nodding off at the wheel is a major cause of accidents.)

And the beau and I have driven all over europe - including UK and Ireland - and we still wouldn't do this.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM

It's an unanswerable question.

Last year, I flew into Bristol, UK; picked up a rental car, then drove with multiple sightseeing stops to Cornwall. On and off for about 8-9 hours before going to a B&amp;B.

I hadn't driven on the left side of the road for 15 years, on totally unfamiliar roads.

But I was totally alert, extremely fresh, and had a great time that day (and the subsequent two days). It would be IRRESPONSIBLE for me to not utitlize my vacation time to not drive.

On the other hand, there are people who I think are irresponsible to drive, period. Anytime, anywhere, any car. But that's just how I feel.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Guy18, I wouldn't do it, but everyone is wired a little differently, so you might be fine. For me, the combination of interrupted sleep, right hand drive, and unfamiliar roads would raise the risk beyond what I would be comfortable with.

Will you be by yourself or will you have a travelling companion who could handle the navigation?

Whatever you decide, safe travels.

Anselm
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who answered. Here is what I've decided (for now).

I've emailed fastcar and asked them to change me to an automatic, which is what I usually drive. Going manual would have been plain stupid, as it would have added a HUGE amount to my distractions.

Given that I'll be wide awake and energized by my arrival in the U.K., I believe I'll be ready for a 2 hour drive.

If anyone has anything to add, I would welcome it.

Old May 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM

I definitely wouldn't do it - but I'm not you. I think I would certainly want to get a good night's sleep before venturing out on unfamiliar roads in a foreign country, driving on the left side,etc. In thinking about it, I would probably never do it - I'll just stick to driving in France. As much as I would love to see the English countryside.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Guy18: First of all you won't get to Ambleside in 90 minutes - - plan more like 2.5 hours - especially on a summer weekend. The Motorways might be a little less crowded but the roads in the Lake District will be more crowded.

Maybe consider a compromise since you indicated before you don't want to stay over in Manchester. You could take the train to Liverpool and spend the day car-less doing Beatles sites or other sightseeing there. Great museums and other sites. I'm sure there are several places where you could pick up a car in Liverpool and drop it at Manchester since all the &quot;majors&quot; are in both. The next day after a good night's sleep you could easily drive up to Ambleside. But you would have to find a rental location open on Sunday.

Another option might be Carlisle by train.

You actually <i>might</i> be fine after your flight - but the odds are against it and you wouldn't know until after you were on the road.

&quot;<i>unfamiliar roads. I will not be used to driving on the left.</i>&quot; You answered this yourself.

Or - you could drive from Manchester airport but be prepared to stop at a motorway service area motel to sleep it off for a few hours.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
So far on the 2 threads almost everyone has said not to do it - yet you are determined. So I'm not sure there is much else anyone can say.

Like I mentioned - you <i>might</i> be perfectly OK - but a first-time, solo driver could have more problems than just exhaustion/jetlag.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I would not do it right after an overnight flight and I have now driven in the UK on four trips but I am not good with overnighters and avoid them. I gather that this is your first time driving in the UK. It is a difficult transition at first, at least it was for me. I would be looking for something to do in Manchester for day one.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Several years ago we got off the QE2 in Southampton (after a five day crossing) and picked up a car. First thing my husband did was to clip off a parked car's side mirror.......... -
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM

We've done exactly that several times...actually only twice driving on the left, but my husband and I can usually get a couple of hours sleep and are wide awake and excited on arrival. Two hours drive to our destination is quite acceptable, although I must say...not sure I would do it on my own. Navigating AND driving would be much more difficult.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM

A 2 hour drive, no sweat. You have to remember that when you first arrive at your destination you are so pumped up with adrenaline, you really couldn't sleep if you wanted to. I've done it and will do it again.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:50 PM

first of all, the lake district is beautiful...i hope you do some good fellwalking.

as others have said, it's hard for anyone to say. i would not expect less traffic. the UK has strange traffic patterns. you will hit traffic at the strangest places and times and then get on the M25 on a monday morning and you can have no problem. as janis said though, the lake distric roads in the summer are always jammed.

i've done what you describe going the other way..UK to US. i never had a problem but does that mean it wasn't stupid...probably not. if i was in your shoes and the driving were all in the daylight, i would probably do it knowing that the next day i could be even more tired.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Again thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'm still playing with my options. Financial issues (not as important as safety admittedly) are also to be pondered.

Fastcar said they will upgrade me to an automatic from Manchester Airport, but they are taking me from 188 gbp to 312 gbp (after initially telling me that the upgrade would only be to 243 gbp--I've already paid them the 188). Alamo, I found out, would charge me 238 gbp, and it is their company that Fastcar put me with! I presently have a polite but firm email addressed to Fastcar waiting for the English workday to see if they can make it closer to Alamo's quote. If I cancel with Fastcar it will cost me 35 gbp, and the rest will be refunded.

I did find a car rental agency in Kendal. I could take the train from the airport to Ambleside on the day of my arrival. The next afternoon I would take a cab to the rental office where I'd pick up my car for the rest of my trip. But they are charging me 395 gbp! If I add the 35 gbp cancellation fee, that is $800!!! (Plus train and taxi fare). That's a lot of money.

Anyway, if it does turn out that I'll be driving from Manchester Airport on my day of arrival, I'm more worried about getting lost than anything. I really don't think the flight will affect me--not until I'm to my destination and my body tells me it's night time...

Well, that's a lot of info that no one is probably that interested in. But,if you have any thoughts, feel free.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Our experience has been that we can safely drive about 2-4 hours after an overnight flight from Boston to the UK. Any more than that and we get too tired and it just doesn't seem safe.

We've changed our travel habits and, whenever possible, we're now taking the daytime flights to the UK, arriving mid-evening (8:30 PM this time), and staying at an airport hotel (thanks, Priceline). We'll get up in the morning and be fresh and rested and ready to go.

Only you can decide whether this works for you. I agree, though, that navigation may be the bigger issue, if you're alone.

Gayle
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Hi,
Firstly, there will be more traffic on a Saturday rather than less.
Secondly, you will be tired and unfamiliar with the car, the roads, the traffic signs etc.
I would suggest that you take the train and pick up the car 1 or 2 days later. You could do without a car for a day or two to reduce the cost if that is an issue. From Ambleside, you can take boats on Lake Windermere, there are plenty of pubs, shops and restaurants and lots of places to walk to.
I would also suggest that you compare car companies again and see if you can come up with something cheaper.
If you decide to use the train make sure that you book in advance as it is much, much cheaper.
Carolena
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Hi Guy18

I do not know you so I can not really advise you on this, but I can share my experiences. I live in CA and in both 2003 and in 2004 I took a red eye flight from LAX to Dublin, landed at the airport, rented a car and drove across Ireland to the west coast. I had never driven on the left side of the road and I do not consider myself to be an exceptionally gifted driver. I did rent an automatic car (I could not have done it with a manual) and I got about 6 hours sleep on the plane. Have fun whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -